Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Danger!

Am I the only one who thinks its completely ridiculous to have a candle holder that involves a sheet of paper? I suppose its even more ridiculous to have a restaurant full of candle holders made of paper, even if that restaurant has amazing amazing amazing empanadas.

Also they didn't charge me for my sangria! Ha! I still spent $28, though, but that was with splitting my friend's drink (she was charged for her sangria), splitting an appetizer, having my own giant salad and splitting a dessert. $8 over, but many courses. When L asked me to come out to drinks with her friends afterwards, I said "No! I am being responsible and saving money. Yes, I am." I pouted but I did the right thing.

So we ordered a chocolate/pecan cake with raspberry sauce.

They brought us something else.

I said "This doesn't look like chocolate/pecan cake with raspberry sauce." It wasn't. It was like a three layer white cake with a molton chocolate mousse cake on top of it, drowned in some sort of white sauce. "Maybe, though, there are pecans in the white part?" we thought.

Needless to say we ate it. The molton chocolate part was spicey! It was amazing! Not what we ordered, but amazing.

I kept wondering if they were watching us, waiting to see if we would ever notice or mention that we'd been given the wrong dessert. I imagined us as part of a hidden-camera type show where the audience watches average people not be assertive. I wondered what the character traits are of people who don't say "Hey, this isn't what we ordered!" If it had been my main course, I would have said something. But how can you turn away such a lovely dessert?

We decided to ask the waitress what it was, because if we ever go there again, we'd probably order it again. "It's the chocolate puff..." she said. "Wait - is the chocolate puff the same thing as the chocolate/pecan cake with raspberry sauce?" "No. The chocolate puff is the special tonight."

Weird, since we didn't know there was a special. There's no way we could have ordered it accidentally, and she wasn't all like "Oh, you ordered the chocolate/pecan cake!"

Then she's like "Oh, sometimes they just switch them because of the special - the chocolate/pecan cake is chocolate so they gave you the chocolate puff instead."

?

Language barrier? We didn't know what to say. I emphasized that we weren't upset but were actually delighted by the switch.

I don't know. This is a lame story but I am telling it because I am very happy that there was either a miscommunication or a bizarro presumptuous switch, because the chocolate puff was divine!

No comments: