Friday, January 12, 2007

The Devil Makes Movies About The Devil Wearing Prada

Things I Will NOT Miss About NYC (in no particular order):

* Whatever it is that the water/air does to my hair, rendering it straw-like and unmanageable.

* Not being able to afford a decent haircut. I am currently rocking the same bad haircut I got in September, which couldn't be remedied because I didn't have the heart to tell my beloved MA-hairdresser that it would be a disaster in NYC, because she had just prior to cutting my hair found out that she had thyroid cancer. Of course she was going to not give me a good haircut, but I am still suffering.

(Incidentally, whenever I get depressed I become convinced that a new/cute haircut will solve all of my problems. I have been fantasizing about layers in the front, layers that will conceal the horrifying thing that my "bangs" are doing right now. Oh, how my life would be drastically improved had I a new/cute haircut! Oh, how my life would improve were I able to without remorse spend $80 on the new/cute haircut! I am trying to hold out until MA, where haircuts will be cheap and more reliable, assuming my hairdresser is ok and still cutting hair. How sad.

And, incidentally, the "bad" haircut that Ann Hathaway has at the beginning of The Devil Wears Prada, the worst movie ever made, looks similar to the haircut I am rocking right now. Poor girl.

Did anyone read the book? Could someone please explain to me the merits of this story? Granted, Meryl Streep, as always, was spectacular.

But seriously. I found the movie painful. What was the point? Allegedly wholesome/confident would-be journalist finds herself in the big city where she has a to take a job that she doesn't want. Boo hoo. And in order to succeed at said job, she sells her soul (much like we all do here) to the "glamazons" (I liked that, I must admit) to get ahead, wears cute clothes, learns how to perfectly apply makeup, must get up at like 4 am every day to iron her hair, and voila! She's a success but is still miserable. But was I supposed to care? I didn't care. I hated her from the moment she sold her soul to get ahead. Yes, she realized it was a mistake but whatever. She was lame. Are girls supposed to liket his character? Identify with her? I would have identified with her if she hated herself for being a glamazon, but she didn't.

I don't get it.

It made me hate New York even more. I did appreciate the soliloquies regarding why the fashion industry is important. I am hoping I will feel less insecure when I live in MA again, but can I confess something horrendous? When I was in Boston on the T earlier this year, I actually found myself thinking "Wow, everyone here dresses so blandly." I felt terrible - no, I feel terrible - because its not that people dress badly, its that people just dress however they want and aren't all about the exterior. And they don't spend hundreds of dollars a month to keep up with "fashion." I'm sure there are people in Boston who do it, but here I feel like everyone does it, and I feel gross for not doing it. Blah blah blah. It's Friday night and I am waiting for D so we can attend Super Awesome Sleepover 2007!)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just emailed you about the movie, but reading this made me remember something else. In the book, she does NOT learn how to dress and apply makeup. For Paris, which she did not stab the other assistant in the back to go to - the other assistant had mono and couldn't go - the other magazine women draw her extensive diagrams and makeup sheets for dressing and makeup for all possible situations. And she didn't want to go and she hated it there. She wasn't as much of a sellout in the book, because of the whole battered woman syndrome going on.

Beth said...

The movie was a huge disappointment. The book actually had some humor in it, where the movie has none. The book also had a little bit more character depth in it - the characters in the movie were completely flat and one dimensional, except for Meryl - cause she rocked that part. SPOILER ALERT! In the book, the boyfriend totally dumps her - which is appropriate because she was a whiny bitch. Also, her best friend "Lily" is addicted to drugs and has a string of random men in the apartment and ends up in the hospital and THAT is why Andy leaves France. The ending in the book was more dramatic - Andy says the "F" word to Miranda and it causes a huge scandal in the fashion world. It was more satisfying.

Dr. Maureen said...

Dude! What's with the new look? Is this a template on Blogger?

Also, I just noticed that my first comment is apparently by "Anonymous" even thought I thought I signed in.

M

Leah Lar said...

I don't know. I was procrastinating EBay the other day and thought "Ah! A fun thing to do in order to procrastinate would be to finally update the blogs." So I did. It is a template but I changed the colors. Word.