Thursday, January 11, 2007

Because I Love A Good List...

... I am going to make a list of things I will miss and things I will not miss about NYC, and I will update it periodically on the blog.

And so let the listing begin!

Things I Will NOT Miss About NYC (in no particular order):

* "Heat and Hot Water Included," which is ridiculous. As Father would say "You're paying for the heat... in the elevated rent price." So true, and I wouldn't mind so much if they actually put the heat on. It was 58 degrees in the apartment this morning. So the heat that I can't control and that isn't on is "included." How very generous. I'd rather pay for heat that is on than not pay for heat that doesn't exist.

* Apartments that will never be clean. I don't know if non-New Yorkers know about this, but the city generates black dust that cannot be suppressed. Even when the windows aren't open, there's a black layer of dusty film over everything. I'll dust, and within a week everything is covered with black again. It's not normal dust. It's dark, like ash. Additionally, the bathroom is never clean. There's nothing I can do! There's blue towel residue all over everything, so instead of black dust there's blue dust all the time. My theory is that this is due to the complete lack of ventilation - no vent in the bathroom + no window in the bathroom + no circulation in the apartment = grossness.

* Seeing women on the train putting on make up in the style of a make up artist and feeling terribly inadequate.

Things I WILL Miss About NYC (in no particular order):

* Seeing Dennis Hopper in line for a movie and having nobody react.

* Being able to see movies like Army of Shadows on the big screen.

* The Amish Market.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, serious typo situation. I'm pretty sure that you WILL miss seeing Dennis Hopper and the Amish market. Even more would you miss seeing Dennis Hopper AT the Amish market, had that ever happened.

Leah Lar said...

Gasp! Fixed. Thanks!