Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Planning

For some reason I am thinking about Dance Party USA today.

Has anyone been to Stonehenge? Any recommendations for how to get there from London without draining your bank account? Curse the worthless American dollar!

And curse not being prepared for travels. I'm trying to compromise, really, I am. It was a compromise for him to get our tickets two weeks in advance. I appreciate that, I do. Would I have preferred to have gotten them months ago so as to be prepared for our travels? Yes. Would I have preferred to give our various hosts more than one day notice of when we'll be arriving and staying etc.? Surely. But I am a compromising person, and I can be spontaneous. I swear, I can!

But not with this. I really want to see Stonehenge. Ever since I built a to-scale model of Stonehenge out of Play-Doh for a school project, I have been obsessed. This may be my only opportunity, and I don't want to not go because the train schedule doesn't work for us or because it's too expensive or because we didn't book the tour 48 hours in advance as is required.

Otherwise, we have no plans. Because I can compromise! I have no idea what to do in London. We will read a book about London on the plane and will then deliriously discuss things we might like to do.

It's not like I want to compulsively plan the vacation. That's very stressful and leads to agendas and pressure and not enjoying oneself. I would just like to know if we are going to see Stonehenge, and when that might be so I can tell A and B, and what that might entail (such as staying a night in Bath, in which case I might like to look into hotels now to get an idea of whether or not that is feasible monetarily). I don't want to spend precious time in London surfing the internet in order to find a good hotel. No, I will not.

So yes. Advice, please, if you've got any on Stonehenge. Merci!

6 comments:

nithya said...

My dad went to Stonehenge when I was in 5th grade or so. He brought back a T-shirt that to this very day is my favorite T of ALL time. It simply said "Stonehenge Rocks."

Dr. Maureen said...

Will you buy me a t-shirt that says "Stonehenge Rocks?" OR! OR! You could buy a teeny tiny t-shirt that says "Stonehenge Rocks" and give it to the BABY!

Aside: I just had to go up and correct the spelling of "Stonehenge" because I had written "Stonehedge." This is because there is a place in Tewksbury called "The Stonehedge Inn," and ever since The Husband and I went there for dinner, I can no longer remember which is the inn and which is the ancient Druid arrangement of stones. This is the place with 50,000 bottles available in their wine cellars (with an additional 50,000 bottles aging), several of which cost $3000 PER BOTTLE.

Mo

Anonymous said...

i don't know anything about stonehenge except that you can take a day trip out of Bath. Bath is de-lightful so I recommend highly highly HIGHLY doing at least one or two days there. Eat at Tilley's. Twice.

Banalities said...

Low Rates. Approval in Minutes.
No Lender fees. Bad Credit OK. Visit Loanhenge today!

Banalities said...

P.S. Act now, and make no payments until the next equinox.

Leah Lar said...

I will get Stonehenge Rocks t-shirts for all readers of My Mundane Life In Song. Awesome.

Thanks for the advice on Bath! We are planning to stay there for one night, which will take away from our time in London but I live in a city and don't really need to be in a city for many nights. I looked up Tilley's and OH YES we will eat there. Thanks!!!!