Friday, June 23, 2006

If You See Something, Say Something

Speaking of passing on bad vibes from person to person in the city...

Maybe something like this happened to the girl in the laundromat before I walked in and got upset about my dress being ruined...

A strange man got on the train this morning at 42nd Street. I noticed him immediately because of the way he was walking. There was just something weird about him. I don't usually notice people in the city. D always says "Did you see that guy with the *insert weird accessory or behavior here*?" and I will have no idea what he's talking about. But this guy creeped me out from the moment I saw him. There was just something... off. He was carrying a duffle bag and then three department store bags (the big plastic ones with the nice handles) full of clothes and sneakers. On his right forearm was a giant tatoo of the grim reaper that read "El Muerte."

He seemed discombobulated. Unable to deal with his many bags, he deposited three of them near the train door from which he entered. People looked at the bags, but nobody did anything. I'm sure everyone was thinking "What if there's a bomb..." but nobody wants to be the dork to say something.

Rather than sit on a seat, he decided to sit on his duffle bag, on the floor, in the middle of the train, right at the base of my feet, facing me.

I didn't have a newspaper (damn you AM New York, for being out only once and on this particular day!), so I was sitting there with my headphones on looking at this guy. I looked away, looked around, but he was right in front of me, just sitting on the train floor.

About thirty seconds later, he started grabbing his face. I don't know what he was doing. My guess is that he was popping his jaw back into place or something, but he was doing it viciously.

Then he started staring at me. Just staring. Intensely. He was kind of smirking, as though he was trying to get my attention. I didn't look at him. I tried not to make eye contact. I looked around and tried to stare at other people on the train. I looked up. I looked at my hands. I tried not to think about the FreakFest that was seated in front of me.

When the man seated next to me got up, FreakFest gathered up his belongings (his duffle bag and the three bags he just left at the door) and sat next to me. He turned around and stared at me again.

Out of the corner of my eye I could see that he was stretching into the neighboring seats. And then I felt it. His hand touched my leg. I didn't respond because I was going to give him the benefit of the doubt. We're always bumping into people, brushing against people, invading people's personal space in this city. He most likely just stretched and accidentally brushed against me and would withdraw his hand as soon as he realized what happened.

He did. And then I felt it again. And again.

I didn't know what to do.

I looked around at the other people on the train and noticed a guy who seemed to sense what was going on. I felt safe, because I was certain this guy would do something. But really, what would he do? What was I going to do?

When the train stopped at 14th Street, I decided to get off, as FreakFest didn't seem to be getting off at that stop. I decided to wait for as long as possible to get out of my seat, on the off chance that we would try to follow me. Not that he was going to follow me. I paused, and then quickly got up.

FreakFest didn't motion to leave until he realized that I was getting off. He then quickly and chaotically gathered his many bags and got off the train with me. I didn't know what to do. I hadn't expected him to do that. He didn't seem to be getting off at that stop!

My original plan was to just wait for the next train but I didn't want to be on the platform with him. I considered running up to the L train, but what if he followed me? And what would I have done on the L, anyway?

I decided, instead, to run up to another car and squeeze myself into it as the doors were closing.

My heart was about to come out of my chest. I didn't know where he was, I didn't know if he would make his way through the train, I didn't know if he was on the train, I didn't know if he could see me from another train.

I didn't see him again. Phew.

At work I tried to concentrate but couldn't. I was spooked.

I encountered JG in the lunchroom and told him the story, because I knew I could count on him to be horrified on my behalf.

I didn't call D for about three hours. I wanted to calm down a bit, stop shaking, and get through my morning experiments before I talked to him. I was afraid that he would not respond and that I would explode if I didn't give myself time to process what had happened, and, well, order my dress, because I knew that would make me feel better.

I called him and said "Guess what happened to me this morning!"

"You were groped?"

I paused. "Um... well... yes, sort of, I guess, yes, I was."

Not funny. It just wasn't funny. It wouldn't have been funny under any circumstances. I guess he said it because he'd read an article discussing how the police have been cracking down on subway gropers and have been apprehending record numbers of them. What kind of world do we live in?

I told him the story and he was sympathetic, but not in the protective I-Want-To-Kick-That-Guy's-Ass sort of way I wanted him to be. I expected as much. I expected rational. He said "Did he seem crazy? Did he seem insane? How old was he? Was he homeless?" and I explained what the guy was wearing and how I was freaking out and how I was glad to see that there were cops at Spring Street (specifically the Vandam exit) because there have never been cops before.

Of course I wanted to explain how disgusting it is to be touched on your leg by a complete stranger and how violated you feel and how scary it is to be followed and how awful this stupid city is. But I guess I don't want to have to explain these things at all, because some things should go without saying.

I hate men. Who does this guy on the train think he is!? There's an entire website devoted to exposing street harassers called Holla Back New York City, which is awesome except why do we have to live in a world where people are harrassed?

This reminds me of the time when someone at a former job kissed me on the job. I was, of course, horrified, and I called my boyfriend at the time and he was all "Why would he do that? Do you think he meant it? He must be crazy. Did you do anything to make him think it was ok? There must be something wrong with him," etc., and I so wanted him to say "That motherfucker! If I ever see that douchebag I will destroy him."

I think that men don't get it. Because they are men and because they are in a position of physical power, they don't see these sorts of acts against us as distressing. They don't see how a woman could have a response to a stranger's hand on her leg, or a coworker's lips on her face. I was amazed that my former boyfriend could make excuses for my coworker.

I guess men really don't react to anything. I guess men aren't capable of saying "Oh my god HOW DARE HE!?"

And men are capable of inflicting their physical presence on complete strangers, because for some reason they think that this is acceptable.

Ugh.

Happy Friday.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, what an asshole. I want to kick that guys' ass. He sounds tough though, so maybe I'd team up with D to really hurt the guy.
- Canadian Jon

Beth said...

Oh my! This post has me all fired up. I need to give you some assertiveness training, girlfriend. When I was in the 9th grade, I took the MBTA bus to school every day. There were very frequently freaks on the bus and some of them harrassed young girls like myself and my friends. One day, a man sat behind me and started BLOWING on my neck. I was freaked and outraged. I turned around and said, clearly and firmly, "Get up and move to another seat." He was like, "What?" and I said again, "Get up and move to another seat!" and he did. He totally obeyed my command.

Leah Lar said...

I'm with you, LBF. There are definitely occasions on which to be assertive with men, but when you're certain if someone is crazy I think it best not to make a situation worse.

I'm not certain this guy was crazy, but I was mostly certain and didn't want to agitate him.

When I start telling people this story, I say "There was the guy on the train and when he walked on he had four bags. He just *left three of them by the door...*" and everyone gasps in horror!

Because you just DO NOT leave bags unattended in NYC. You don't. That's a sign that something is up, so I think this guy was not to be bothered.

But yes, had he been a business man wearing a suit or someone who seemed mostly normal, I'd have said something.