Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Horshack

I just read that there will be a remake of Welcome Back Kotter! I loved that show. Allegedly Ice Cube will assume the role of Mr. Kott-air. Nuts.

***

I also watched the news last night for about two seconds and learned that the host of Press Your Luck, another one of my favorite shows, died while piloting a plane! My heart is broken. It's bizarre that I mentioned Wammy's yesterday.

(Sidenote: does it seem like the likelihood of dying in a plane crash is higher if you are a celebrity? Is this because celebrities are prone to flying in smaller, non-commercial crafts that are likely to crash?)

***

I went to the dentist this morning (I love that my dentist shows movies in the waiting room - I managed to watch about half of Mission Impossible, which was cool except that I constantly made aware of how late the appointment was), and kept obsessing over how many masochists get aroused by being at the dentist. They gave me another lifetime supply of satin floss, which I distributed to my coworkers.

***

I bought more glasses last week. I know what you're thinking - you addict! STOP! STOP IT!!!

No, I will not stop it, because why not? First of all, insurance gives me $200 a year for eyewear, so I might as well spend it! Second of all, there was a sample sale in my building! They said "Sunglasses and reading glasses - $5 and up."

Since reading glasses can function as regular frames, and are much cheaper, I figured I had nothing to lose by checking.

I left with two pairs.

Guess how much? No, just guess. Seriously - guess.

$2. For both. One dollar each.

Heh.

And they are both awesome.

I'd intended to go to Chinatown this afternoon for a looooong lunch to drop them off for lenses, but it is so freaking windy. I don't know if I want to be out there for half an hour. Of course I am rabid to wear my new glasses, though. I'll have to check the weather to see what its going to be like later in the week.

***

Thanks for your advice about fondue! I spent the entirety of yesterday trying to find the perfect set, and gave up. There is no brushed stainless steel sterno-fueled minimalist-looking fondue set that is good enough for my boy.

So, instead, he will be getting this one:

fondue

This one is good because (a) it is blue and we all know how the boy likes blue and (b) it is simple in design and (c) it is small, which was another criteria (I failed to mention this) since space in these here parts is limited.

I'm sure he'll hate it and I will have to return it (which will be annoying since I will have to ship it back to who-knows-where), but, as M said, I should not talk it personally and not have a broken heart because this is just how he is and it has nothing to do with my gift-giving ability.

The ironic thing is that his perfectionism is contagious and I therefore looked at fondue sets for no less than four hours yesterday.

Once I settled on this blue set, I was distressed to learn that it was only available in England or from one US website that didn't get good reviews. Rather than settle for the second best fondue set, I spent an hour last night searching and searching and searching for it somewhere else, which is such a D thing to do.

***

D is coming back tonight and therefore my single days are over. I got a lot done - wrote a song, did my taxes (refund! woop!), cleaned my apartment, washed sheets/towels, watched 24 Hour Party People, and, most importantly, figured out "the future."

I ran the new plan by D last night and he was thrilled.

Happiness all around.

We will have to discuss things more in-depth, but I am feeling good and optimistic and actually hopeful.

Hopefully, if all goes well, we (we?!) can get a big, real fondue set some time in the near future.

2 comments:

Banalities said...

Wait -- why can't they just get Gabe Kaplan again. Then the title makes sense, too...

Banalities said...

Also, did you know that Gabe Kaplan is this big-time poker poo-bah?