Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Gifts

D's birthday is coming.

This means that I am faced, again, with the task of finding a gift for someone who is extremely particular, who has extremely rigid and specific taste, who spends his entire life looking for just the perfect knife and won't rest until he finds it.

I have decided on the following:

One batch navy blue M&M's.
One batch white M&M's.
One batch grey M&M's.

These are to match his apartment decor.

In addition:

One fondue set.
One book on fondue.

The M&M's will not be challenging. I'm not sure what to put them in, but anything I choose will not be acceptable so I think it is fine to just give them to him in bags. He will find (or make) some sort of wonderful candy dispersal unit.

The fondue book will be fun. I can't wait to order it.

It is the fondue set that is causing me agita. There exists the option to purchase a navy blue fondue pot, but I'm not sure how he'll feel about that. I think he might find it too cute. I think stainless steel is the way to go, as it is classy and minimalist. But what about shape? I feel like I have to find something as shapeless as possible. And D hates shiny things - he prefers matte finish - do they make matte finish fondue pots?

Anyway, readers, if any of you are bored at work and have a moment to look online for a matte-finish fondue set that is roughly the shape of a cylinder (no frills!) that isn't lit by a tealight, send me an email and let me know what you find.

Thanks!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

amazon has a few - I am fond of this electric one by Cuisinart. No messy fuel cans to deal with.

PS The picky perfectionist? sounds familiar.