Monday, December 19, 2005

Meta

I went to a taping of Inside the Actor’s Studio last night.

The guest was Dave Chappelle.

I would tell you to stop being jealous, but you really should be jealous so I won’t stop you.

In preparation for the show, D suggested we rent the entire second season and watch it on Saturday night. Damn that show is funny.

I tried not to get too excited because I knew that there was a slight chance that Dave Chappelle would not show up. My heart would have been broken had that happened, so I distanced myself from the experience and pretended like it wasn’t happening at all.

We arrived at about 6:30 for the 7:00 taping.

At 7:30 the show still had not begun. James Lipton came out and gushed, saying “You are in for a treat tonight but there are problems with Dave Chappelle’s flight. He took a personal flight from Ohio just to do the show, we are very appreciative, but they had to stop to refuel. In the meantime, watch this..” They then aired the first episode of Chappelle’s Show after James Lipton said “This show is going to be our holiday gift to you.”

At 8:00, I went to the bathroom and overheard people saying that Dave Chappelle's plane hadn’t even landed yet, and that the taping would most likely begin at 10:00. Rumor had it that James Lipton would come out and make an announcement indicating what we should do.

When I returned to my seat, it was announced that they would be giving out bracelets and that we could leave, but we were to return to our seats by 9:30 for the taping.

I think D and I watched the entire first two seasons of Chappelle's Show in less than 24 hours.

At 9:30 things began, with tests for audio levels and audience camera shots.

When James Lipton emerged, he first said “Never have I loved an audience more than I love you,” because of our patience given that we’d all been there for three hours and would be there for at least another three and then “You are in for a wonderful show, you lucky bastards.”

HAH!

OK. Here are my thoughts about this experience:

1. I have new respect for Inside the Actor’s Studio. It was really an amazing interview, comprehensive, I know so much about Dave Chappelle and have a more complete appreciation for his comedy.

2. James Lipton = awesome. His interview skills are amazing. I now understand why celebrities flock to his show. He’s actually really funny and charming. He is very good at what he does. When he asked Chappelle to get up and dance, Chappelle said he would only if James Lipton would, and you know what? James Lipton actually got up and did a little ballet! It was adorable!

3. The importance of family – Dave Chappelle was talking about his initial experiences as a standup comedian, which began when he was only 14 years old, and how he told his mother that he was doing it and told her not to come. She showed up anyway, along with his brother and his grandmother. I think supportive family environments really encourage this sort of desire to entertain. Some people entertain to get attention, I think others entertain because they’ve received attention and have confidence. I really envy that sense of security.

4. Dave Chappelle is really funny. Like really, really funny. I saw him do standup a million years ago – I think in 1996 or something at The Comedy Connection – and he was funny, but he’s more chill now or something and for some reason that’s funnier to me.

5. Dave Chappelle was candid and honest. He spoke of his time in Africa and what led up to it, he spoke of his father’s death, he spoke of his experiences in Hollywood and warned people against certain things in the industry. He really put himself out there, and for this I respect him.

6. The fact that James Lipton loves Chappelle’s Show is pretty much the best thing ever.

7. The fact that James Lipton asked to “speak with” Clayton Bigsby, the black white supremacist, was the funniest thing ever.

8. James Lipton asked some really interesting questions. He knows everything about people and can therefore challenge them.

9. Most meta thing I think I’ve ever experienced – watching a clip of the skit on Chappelle’s Show where they spoof Dave Chappelle being on Inside the Actor’s Studio on a screen at Inside the Actor’s Studio while Dave Chappelle is on Inside the Actor’s Studio. Weird, man. James Lipton said “Who is that guy who plays me?” and Dave Chappelle said “That’s so-and-so, who was the dad in ‘War Games.’”

10. I really liked seeing someone from our generation up there.

We actually ended up leaving early because it was 1:30 before they even got into the question and answer session, and it probably would have gone another two hours and unfortunately I am an old lady who had to work the following morning.

I love doing things like this that are things that can only happen in New York City.

YEAH!

4 comments:

nithya said...

dude, do you have any idea how next-level crazy this is?! jealous? yes, oh good lord yes...

that's awesome. can't wait to see it.

yay nyc!

Beth said...

Yes, I'm insane with jealousy. Did Dave say when he might be making season 3 of the show? I heard rumors that it might be back on at some point. Now I'm upset because I don't have cable... I'll have to find out when this airs and have someone tape it for me.

I just have to say that James Lipton is NOT cool but he is the ULTIMATE ass kisser. That is why celebrities flock to him. Because he kisses ass. And, apparently he did a good job of kissing YOUR ass as an audience member because here you are, singing his praises.

Beth said...

P.S. What does meta mean? I'm a dork, I have no idea.

Leah Lar said...

No, he didn't say anything about season 3 but if I had to make a guess about whether or not its going to happen, I'd say probably not, and if so, not for a long time. He's very jaded and messy right now.

OK, James Lipton IS an ass-kisser but I realized last night that doesn't actually make him uncool. He's actually really funny and self-depracating, and he's good at what he does and is therefore allowed to have an ego about it. Plus, he gets paid to kiss ass and he does a good job, and I don't think that makes him uncool. That actually makes him brilliant.

But he was really entertaining. It may have been different with another guest when James Lipton wouldn't have gotten to be as silly.

I guess my point is that James Lipton is actually quite silly, and that rules. A lot.

Meta - how to define meta -

"used with the name of a discipline to designate a new but related discipline designed to deal critically with the original one"

That's the Merriam-Webster definition, but I would use it to describe something that makes reference to and is based upon a thing while also being that thing itself.

An example is, like, a tatoo of an arm with a tatoo on it on your arm.