Monday, November 14, 2005

Canstruction NYC 2005

The Parents came to visit this weekend. We had a lovely time, mainly because I'd planned a busy weekend for us.

When they arrived on Saturday, they said "We don't want to do much walking (since Father is on crutches) so we aren't going to come to The Cans." I said "Well, that's fine. You guys can stay here but I am going to see The Cans."

I was referring to Canstruction, which is a contest wherein teams design huge objects out of canned goods and bottles and other foods that will then be donated to various hunger-ending charities. Awesome! I was not going to miss it because of The Parents.

Mother said "Well, ok, I wouldn't mind just staying in your apartment and relaxing."

"OK, that's cool," I said. "But you guys will have to meet us at The Chocolate Show afterwards because it doesn't make any sense for me to come and get you."

"Oh. How will get there?" I explained that it was a very easy cab ride and that I would give them my keys to lock up and would call them when D and I had finished looking at The Cans.

"Ummm..."

"We'll come!" Father declared.

Hah. I know them far too well. I knew the mere mention of their taking a cab alone would be enough to make them my slaves for the day! Mwa ha ha!!!

We left my apartment and it was a bit colder than I'd anticipated, so I said "You guys wait here while I run upstairs and change my coat. We'll get a cab when I come back down." You can imagine my surprise when, upon my return to the sidewalk, my parents had hailed a cab on their own! I said "What!? How did you guys do this?" Turned out a cab just stopped because he saw Father standing there with crutches, but still! I was so proud of them!!!

We met D at the Design Center and had a fabulous time. It definitely would have been easier had one of us not been on crutches, but it didn't really matter. We just took an elevator from floor to floor. The Canstructions were all adorable. Some were better than others. Many had cute puns on "Can" in the title, although I can't remember any of them and already threw out the list of names. Drat!

Anyway, here are some photos:

Empire State Building

Empire State 1 Empire State 2

Music Notes

Music Notes 1

Rubics Cube

Rubics 1 Rubics 2

Rose

Rosebud

Rocket

Rocket

The Guggenheim

The Gug

IPod (this one, along with a bunch of others, had fallen down shortly after being assembled... so sad!)

RIP IPod

Lotus (Mother voted for this one for People's Choice)

Lotus 2 Lotus 3 Lotus 1

Wave (Father and I voted for this one)

Wave Wave 2

Cobra

Cobra

Penguins

Penguins

King Kong (and please note Mrs. Butterworth in his hand! Awesome!!!)

King Kong

Pirate Ship (and please note life preserver made of LifeSavers as well as the usage of Chips Ahoy! and Pirate Booty... argggghhhhhhhh!)

Pirate Ship 1 Pirate Ship 2

PacMan

Pacman

I didn't take photos of everything, but feel free to vote for your favorite for the My Mundane Life In Song Reader's Choice Award!

D and I were inspired. D said "We must enter next year!" and even came up with an awesome idea for an entry. Our enthusiasm died, though, when we considered how many canned goods you'd need to practice with and how much space you'd need to practice. So I guess we won't enter. Sadness.

After Canstruction, the four of us grabbed a cab and headed to The Chocolate Show. I don't have any photos from The Chocolate Show because I was far too busy stuffing my face with amazing free samples. Dear god. I bought some orange-flavored dark chocolate and some chocolate-covered potato sticks. D bought a collection of gourmet peanut butter - six different kinds, including white chocolate peanut butter and cinnamon raisin peanut butter! Does life get any better?

We wanted to buy more, but by the end of the show, we were sick of chocolate.

We went back to D's apartment (yes, my parents went and hung out in my boyfriend's <200 sq ft apartment) and crashed. We then had immense difficulty hailing a cab to take us to dinner on the Lower East Side at My Favorite Restaurant in NYC. I am so happy to have a favorite restaurant. The Parents enjoyed it.

We then headed back to my apartment where we hung out, watched some of Top Secret, and then went to bed early.

It was a wonderful day - beautiful weather, The Parents' very first cab ride in NYC!, snakes made out of cans, chocolate chocolate chocolate, Italian food, good conversation, hugs from Parents. Life is good.

1 comment:

Beth said...

Your parents crack me up. They will travel to NYC, on crutches even, but they are afraid to take a cab without you? How funny that you have to help your parents take a cab. It's total reversal.