Monday, August 01, 2005

Buenos Aires - Friday - Pre-wedding

The wedding! The wedding! YAY!

D and I tried to sleep in. We did our best. We got up at around 11:00 and decided to go to La Boca for the day since we'd missed the excursion earlier in the week.

D had perused the guidebook and decided it would be nice to have the cab take us on a scenic drive to La Boca so that we could see some things we missed. I took some photos from the cab.

The buses in Buenos Aires are Mercedes:

Mercedes

The guidebook said that this "castle" was very impressive, but we figured it would be just as impressive from the cab as it would be if we actually got out and looked at it up close:

Castle

After our brief car tour of the city, we ended up in La Boca:

La Boca

Shoes Hanging in La Boca

Most of La Boca looks like this:

La Boca Again

To attract tourists, some of La Boca looks like this:

Pretty Buildings in La Boca

The experience was very touristy. We were harassed millions of times by people trying to get us to eat at their restaurants and watch their tango shows. We were not interested.

Tango Tourist Trap

We just wanted to eat and go to the museum there and get to the mall to pick up D's suit and perhaps do a little last minute sightseeing.

D was finally satisfied with the meat he ate, and I inhaled my pasta with tomato cream sauce because I will still starving from the day before.

I wanted to buy some souvenirs in La Boca for my family, as it was my last chance and up until that point I'd been a deadbeat and hadn't bought a single thing. I wanted to buy them some art that was being sold on a small walkway in La Boca, but as D pointed out, buying them original artwork would cost more than the entire trip to Buenos Aires, so I couldn't rationalize it. I ended up bringing back zero souvenirs. D, at least, bought postcards. I suck. I know.

We went to the mall, picked up the suit and not a new shirt (the original had lipstick on the collar from N and P's previous wedding - my bad!) and not a new tie and not fabulous pink argyle leggings for yours truly because it was going to be too complicated.

We headed back to the hotel, where I stopped by the internet business station to look up the address of the yacht club where the wedding was to be held.

I was having a difficult time finding the information, but finally got the yacht club's website to load. There was a small map on it that was hard to navigate. While I was doing this, there was an obnoxious little girl standing in the doorway, hovering, aching for me to stop using the computer.

I didn't want to indulge her spoiled behavior, but when she started clearing her throat and making coughing noises, I decided the best thing for me to do would be to leave the computer room entirely so as not to throttle her.

Brat.

I hurried away with the address in hand and ran up to the room to try to get a nap in before the wedding.

2 comments:

Dr. Maureen said...

Dude. That picture of the streetlamp that you posted? When we were in La Boca, A and I bought a cool photo of a streetlamp. Then I found the actual streetlamp and recreated the photo we bought. Then I saw the same streetlamp in D's "Time Out Buenos Aires." Then I saw it again in every single thing that ever mentions La Boca. And now it's on your website.

Leah Lar said...

It's everywhere! The street lamp is very photogenic.