Tuesday, June 21, 2005

And then on Monday....

... I walked into work and my computer was dead.

It had a black screen. Whenever I did things that usually help, such as turn it off and then back on, it did this weird sort-of-black screen thing and then said "Insert System Disk to Reconfigure."

I emailed the appropriate people from Bench Buddy's computer. A dude appeared a few hours later, looked at the computer, and said "I am just going to take this away."

Sniff.

He took the body away and I began to weep for Lost Lego People and things I hadn't backed up on the server. Most of my science was saved, but I lost all of my links to random blogs as well as some science programs that require licenses that are going to take a while to reinstall. This is not good. I can't do my work very efficiently.

I am distressed. I've lost a computer at almost every job I've had and usually they save some sort of image of the desktop or history or something. Not here. No. "It's dead" and they take it away without even trying to revive it.

I have been very efficient at the bench throughout all of this, which is good because I am getting slammed at work. I am caught up on projects and have determined that my identity has not been stolen after talking to the IRS, and have determined that I do not owe an additional $1200 in medical bills on top of what I already owe. Now all I have to do is receive my security deposit and I will be a happy girl.

I am going to write out experiments now and not figure out what primers to use for sequencing because all of my files were on my former desktop, and even if I had them, I couldn't read them because I no longer have the extremely priveleged license to do so.

No comments: