Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Pots On!

I am so tired.

I haven't had a good night's sleep in ages.

This is of particular concern as I will be starting to move at 8am on Saturday and up all night Friday packing for said move. I will be out on Thursday night consuming much-needed drinks for R's birthday. Tomorrow night - packing! And hopefully selling some stuff that I posted on Craigslist. Tonight - class, and possibly Bed, Bath, and Beyond, because suddenly I am concerned about things like curtains and colanders.

If I pull this off I will be amazed.

All sorts of drama with movers and piano movers and freight elevaotors and work and shelves and measurements and ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am very tired today because I went to see Eugene Mirman and some other comics at Pianos last night for their recording of a CD/DVD for Comedy Central.

Yes, folks, Eugene Mirman. You read that right!

Some of you are thinking "Eugene Mirman... that sounds familiar... how do I know...."

YES! It is the VERY SAME EUGENE MIRMAN who was featured in the very same Orgy of Talents as Leah Lar way back in the day!

Yes, folks, picture it: the debut and demise of The Orchard Hillbillies. You might forget Eugene Mirman because you were too busy revelling in the Fleetwood-Mac-like-drama that plagued the Hillbillies backstage. Or, you may have been too busy singing along with "Ridin' on the City of New Orleee-ans...."

Or, you might remember Eugene Mirman because he was DAMN FUNNY.

He still is DAMN FUNNY. He has a bizarre sense of humor, which makes me damn happy. He has a weekly show in NYC. Awshummmm.

The show allegedly started at 8:00, and did not start until 9:00. It went until 11:30, and because I am old, I could not function. And of course we had to stop for Breadsticks at Domino's on the way home. And then had to hang out, because we hadn't seen each other since Friday!, which, as D said, really isn't that long, but it feels like forever.

I said "It's because we've gotten used to sharing our lives, so when we don't, it feels weird. And weirdness feels like eternity."

The show was great, though, and I have decided that all jobs should be like stand-up comedy.

For example, when I get into work in the morning, I should bring a beer with me into the lab. Then, as the day goes on, someone should just hand me beers when I am at the bench. Well, not beer for me, because I don't like beer. Maybe a glass of wine, and when I mess up an experiment, I'll shrug my shoulders and say "Man, this is a tough crowd" and pound the glass.

And, if someone is doing something stupid, I should be able to heckle them. I could say things like "YOU SUCK!" and throw a Kim Wipe at the guy in the next bay. That's the best I could do, because I suck at heckling because I think its mean. It would still be fun.

And when I mess up an experiment, I could just blame the fact that its "new material" that I haven't tried before, and everyone would laugh instead of getting all stressed out.

Yes.

As stressful as standup comedy must be, it has its perks.

OK. I'm off to Bed, Bath, and Beyond!!! which actually sounds somewhat sci-fi if you say it dramatically. Watch out, world, I am going to have my very own garlic press in an hour!!!

4 comments:

Dr. Maureen said...

What? I have no stove!
Leah, I laughed out loud at this entry. Brava.
The fact that most readers of your blog will not understand the first sentence of my comment makes me feel special.

Beth said...

speaking of sci-fi... did you know that Blade Trinity is already out on DVD? I totally did not notice this, but I am psyched. I think I want the box set of the Blade Trilogy.

Leah Lar said...

I am laughing out loud at the comment.

"I have no stove." How is that still funny after all of these years?

It's like "Ohhh... my spleen..." What was that even from? But its still funny.

You are special, M. In fact, you and NL are probably the only people who will understand the entry at all.

Dr. Maureen said...

Hey, you two posted comments at the exact same time!

Doodoodoodoo doodoodoodoo

(That's the Twilight Zone theme.)

(It took me about ten tries to type "Twilight Zone." First I typed "twighlight" and then I could not, for the life of me, remember the word "zone.")

(It should totally be spelled "twighlight.")

M