Sunday, February 13, 2005

"Oh My God I Can't Believe It....

.... I've never been this far away from home."

Just got in from seeing The Kaiser Chiefs at North Six and then a failed attempt at an after party and then an equally failed attempt at attending a birthday party at an overly-and-offensively populated hipster bar in Williamsburg.

R didn't have a ticket. Nobody's ever heard of this band, so I figured it wouldn't sell out. Despite this, as a compulsive planner, I got my ticket in advance. Apparently between my getting my ticket and the show, they were "written up" in someting so every hipster had to attend the show. Also in attendance was James Iha, which was weird, because before the show R and I were discussing the most disappointing shows we've ever seen, and I was like "Oh man, Smashing Pumpkins SUCKED" and then I had to look around and make sure James Iha wasn't standing right behind me, sitcom style.

Whoa. I just gave everything away.

Anyway, R didn't have a ticket, so we went for drinks and got smashed and planned to go to the show about half an hour before The Kaiser Chief's predicted start time in hopes that someone might have an extra ticket.

So we did, and after like two seconds R had given up. I said "Look, I'll go in and get my ticket and see if there really aren't any."

I went in and said "Do you have an extra ticket?"

"No."

"Not even one?"

"We have minus twenty tickets right now."

I went out and told R there were minus twenty tickets, and then asked him if anyone had an extra ticket.

He said "No," and I was like "Well, did you ask anyone for an extra ticket?" and he's like "No."

I said "Hmmm... so you're sure none of these people have an extra ticket?"

Then some dude's like "I have a ticket."

Me: Awesome!

R: Why do we care if you have a ticket?

Dude: I have an extra ticket.

R: In addition to the one that you'll be using to get into the show?

Dude: Yes, I have a ticket.

Me: You mean, you have a ticket aside from your ticket?

Dude: I have a ticket.

R: You have a ticket that you're not using?

Dude: I have an extra ticket.

R: A ticket that you can sell me?

Dude: Yes.

I don't know why we were being such idiots. I guess because it was too good to be true. Apparently all you need to do is declare that a ticket is needed and one will materialize. We were so grateful to this dude, and both, without discussing it, assumed we'd hang out with him during the show and buy him drinks, but he disappeared.

The show was amazing. Absolutely fucking amazing. Could be top 5. Very enthusiastic and flawless performance, and only affirmed my desire to be frontwoman for a Brit Pop Band. I bounced around a lot. One thing I've noticed about shows in NYC - people do not dance. I don't know why. I guess people don't dance for the same reason people assume other people are fucking with them when they say they have an extra ticket to a show. Edgy New York. Jaded. Pompous.

But yeah. The show kicked ass. I want to see The Kaiser Chiefs once a week for the rest of time, and to see lovely British boys with their overly styled messy hair and ties. Delicious. Mark my words, readers: Kaiser Chiefs - next big thing. Hopefully not flavor of the week. My only complaint is that the show was too short, which could be due to lack of songs, which is of mild concern to me. But only mild, because the songs they do have are, each and every one of them, excellent.

There was an after party for the show at this place which claimed to have free pizza but did not. We stopped by but there wasn't much going on (band wasn't there yet) so we went to my friend's birthday party at another bar, but he wasn't there. It was sort of a party-at-a-house followed by dancing-at-the-bar, but there was a good chance that people would be too drunk after party-at-a-house to actually make it to dancing-at-the-bar. I couldn't find him there - there were tons of people and hipsters and smoke - so we stayed for only about 20 minutes because the taller people were unruly and knocking us around. Hopefully my friend wasn't there and then I won't have to feel bad about leaving. I guess I don't really feel bad. I tried. We were going to go back to the after party but I am trashed and R didn't want to drink alone. I am so responsible.

I should probably sleep, although I think the multiple rums/cokes are going to keep me up all night.

2 comments:

Leah Lar said...

Whoa. If this is the very same person, whoa! How did the world get so narrow?

This band sounds cool. Bench Buddy and I are digging them, and will be at one of the shows!

THANKS!

Leah Lar said...

BP, it WAS you!!!! How weird and lovely!!!