Monday, February 14, 2005

It Is Valentine's Day....

... and I have been listening to Magnetic Fields' 69 Love Songs. This is the second time you are reading a shout out to 69 Love Songs on this blog, so I apologize. But if you still haven't listened to it, you owe yourself an apology.

D and I are not celebrating Valentine's Day because we think it is stupid. This involves not buying each other gifts and not purchasing a card and not contributing money to anything that is in any way Valentine's Day-like. Consequently we cannot go to dinner or a movie or a show or really anything that could be misconstrued as a date. When this was initially discussed, I thought this meant that we wouldn't even see each other tonight, but he said "No, that would be stupid." We discussed this about a month ago, and then I accidentally made an appointment to see an accountant tonight about my taxes. Even though we are boycotting Valentine's Day, I still feel weird about doing my taxes instead of seeing D, so I am not going to go. In truth, I am not going because the tax dude sketches me out and refuses to tell me how much this might cost, so now I guess its going to be a date for me and TaxAct Online, one federal and two state returns! Bliss! But I am telling myself that I am going to do my taxes by myself because D is more important.

Anyway, last night I was like "So, tomorrow's the not-big day... what are we going to do?" and he had no idea what I was talking about.

Then he was like "Oh, that's tomorrow? WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO?"

Panic. It's weird when you are forced to stay in. When there are tons of things to do in the city, sometimes you value being able to stay in and watch Some Kind of Monster. But when you're confined to the inside, you start freaking out.

"We can't even rent a movie!" D said, because his TV monitor just died. "We could cook dinner together..."

"That's extremely romantic and sort of a Valentine's Day cliche, isn't it?"

"Shit."

So I don't know what we're going to do. I think ordering a pizza is very non-romantic, so maybe we'll order a pizza and play poker and have a fight and discuss how awesome roses are every day other than today.

I bet a lot of people will be eating chocolates and snuggling teddybears and carrying roses while walking through The Gates, although its disgusting out today. I walked by The Gates yesterday and, well, they're orange Gates. I thought saffron was something other than hideously bright orange, but I was mistaken. I was going to photograph them for the blog but ended up spending time with my friend A from Boston and then all of a sudden it was dark and I couldn't see The Gates at all.

OK. Work beckons. I hope you all have a nice day, whether it involves candy hearts or not.

3 comments:

Beth said...

Leah,

At a certain point, the effort involved in avoiding cliche becomes a cliche. Well, okay, not a cliche, but I think you are going overboard. As for myself, I am embracing the cheesiness. I bought really funny "knock knock" joke valentines where you have to scratch off a section of the card to find the answer to the joke. It's brilliant. Also, I am happy to do ANYTHING on Valentine's day because anything is better than the infamous V-day that we spent with Ben, the Sandwich and the Doctor. That was the worst Valentine's day in my entire life. Neither of us got flowers, we didn't get chocolates or candy, we didn't get hugs or kisses, we just got a lot of AGITA and I got SHUSHED!!! Hence, I love Valentine's day now. Already my day today has been WAY better than that.

Leah Lar said...

Dude,

I love how you're like "The Doctor, The Sandwich, and BEN." Love the partial anonymity. That was bad. Worse for you, though. Just weird for me. I got a lovely mix CD and the awkwardness that resulted. I also just got some cheesy wrestlemania valentines in my mailbox from D, which makes me think that perhaps we ARE doing something tonight, which makes me feel like a crappy girlfriend so I am writing an emergency poem. Wish me luck!

Anonymous said...

The best way to avoid the "pressure" of Valentine's Day is to be romantic every chance you get. That way there's nothing wrong with getting dinner on February 14 if you want to. It's just another night out, when you don't want to cook.