Wednesday, February 23, 2005

29

Whoa. I just turned 29.

Yep.

Wow.

When I was a little kid I always thought people who were 30 were really, really old. I still feel like a kid. I haven't figured anything out. I suppose I have one more year to get everything in order.

Late-20's are almost over. When did that happen?

I need to figure things out.

But only after I celebrate my birthday in early-20's style.

I wish I could be a spastic drunk instead of an introspective one.

The photos from my birthday party are not as fun as I'd like them to be, but I will share them anyway. I didn't do a good job of documenting everything since I was, well, distracted.

We started off with a small gathering and karaoke in the apartment. Much gratitude towards RR and her fabulous MTV-brand-karaoke-machine with superfluous video camera. At first we feared the camera and didn't quite know what to make of the machine's capacity for live video. Our disdain quickly turned into awe and we were hooked. Please note the pink post-it collage on the wall, again, courtesy of RR. Nobody signed up. And, because neither of us are LBF, we couldn't come up with any suggestions for people. This didn't, however, stop people from singing. I don't have many photos of people singing because I was busy tending to mingling and other hostess-like activities during this portion of the party.

Karaoke

D baked this fabulous cake. It was orange, but not in honor of TheGates. It was delicious.

Birthday Cake

RR and I bought shark tatoos at the Folk Art Museum that afternoon. I was thrilled because a shark is actually one of my realistic tatoo options. We covered ourselves with tats and formed a gang. RR was Mama Shark, but she did not appear in photographs because as the Gang Leader she has to maintain an aura of mystery.



After everyone had gathered at The Loft, we headed out to Galapagos for some Sid and Buddy (well, I guess its now just Sid) karaoke. It was crowded when we got there so I knew there was no chance of getting to sing. I signed up for "Bandages" by Hot Hot Heat anyway. I challenged popular opinion that I should indicate that it was my birthday when I signed up, due to my not wanting to draw attention to myself. I hoped I'd get to sing but sadly I did not. But we still had fun. I think Bench Buddy had the most fun.

Bench Buddy

As usual, the people at Sid Karaoke were quite good. RR and I particularly enjoyed some girl's rendition of Fever.

Fever

The male sharks did as well.

Hammerhead

D, who wasn't having the best time given his not feeling well and given my being drunk and full of drama, was about to leave when he was called up to sing "True" by Spandau Ballet. N joined him onstage, along with some woman who insisted on singing every single song. She was unbearable. D and N were, of course, adorable. This picture, however, is not.



Shortly after they sang we decided to leave, because RR and I were certain we, as The Sharks, might kill the woman who stole D and N's karaoke thunder. When we left Galapagos, there was a pristine coating of snow in the road. It is so rare to see snow so untouched. Immaculate. RR and N decided to make snow angels.

Angels In The Snow

N's snow angel was very little and cute.



The Male Sharks copied them and made their own snow angels.



The girls tried to make snow sharks.



When I think of my 29th birthday party, I will think of walking back to The Loft in the snow behind everyone else. I felt like an observer instead of a participant. This is what my 29th birthday looked like.



29.

Whoa.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

L.L.-
your blog always entertains and provkes thought...HAPPY MUTHAF*(^IN' BIRTHDAY! you are a rock star in my book.
xo