Thursday, December 02, 2004

Blogs, Bizarreness, Bad News In the Making, Batman

I have a blog. You all know this because you are reading it. I write about my readers. I write about people who don't read it. The people who don't read it are sort of like characters. They're New York people who are real to me but fiction to the people who read the blog. I don't worry about it, because I am mostly certain that nobody will ever see this.

Now. Imagine that you've met someone and they say "I'll send you the link to my blog."

You think "Rad! I don't know this person well and their blog will give me insight into their personality!"

Then you read the blog because you are doing everything in your power to procrastinate doing work because you know your data will be bad and because the entire week has been a wash scientifically. Your immediate response is "This blog is GOOD!" so you read more, wishing your blog could be as good. But you're not concerned, because you are a scientist and the writer of the good blog is, well, a writer.

You read more, and you learn more about this person. Questions are answered. You start to like the writer more and more, because you can identify with the writing. More importantly, you can identify with why the writer writes.

You read on, and then you find an entry about you.

Which is weird, because suddenly you've become a character in someone else's blog.

You wonder "Does the author realize I've seen this?" or "Did the author want me to see this?" or "What does the author mean by this?"

In the entry, which is bizarre because it mimics an entry in your own blog, the author is excited to have met you but describes you as "bad news in the making" because you very much remind the author of someone named "J."

You are compared to "J" because you both have "the nerdy glasses and the big words." There are more comparisons.

Now.

It's just weird.

Being on someone's blog.

And having what's said about you on someone's blog be uninterpretable.

It brings up this cascade of questions and thinking-too-much:

1. Who is "J?" Is she real? If you met her, would you think that she was just like you? How do people perceive you, anyway?

2. In the entry, you are referred to as Comic Girl #3 - there are entries about #2 - but who is #1? Are there other people on the planet who are just like you? Did these other Girls look like you? And why are you #3? And why is someone other than you writing about your glasses? How bizarre is that? How should you feel about this?

3. Are people drawn to other people because they remind them of something comfortable? Do people only hang out with new people because the new people are substitutes for someone else? Is that what life is all about? Are you just a genre? Are you just "a type?"

4. Being a character. Weird. People wrote comments. Which is fine, because we all do it, but still weird.

5. Should you be flattered or horrified? If you make enough of an impression on someone to appear as a character in their blog, then that's cool. But its almost like you're a shadow of another character. Would you be noteworthy in someone's life if someone didn't already set the precedent for your type?

Bizarre. It's not traumatic or anything. It's just an interesting experience to have. People are always talking about information being readily available on the internet (man, I talked about the Internet being a Super Villain in my very own blog!) and this is just an example of that. When asked what superpower people would like, some people who haven't really thought things through will say "The ability to read minds." The ability to read thoughts is the worst superpower ever.

It's just weird to be distilled down to a character in someone's cryptic online story. Which I guess is deserved, as I am writing my own cryptic online story. Except its not really cryptic. Is it?

Man. This is weird. Maybe I shouldn't have a blog anymore. No. Maybe I'll just never talk about people again. But I like to tell stories about people doing cute or ridiculous things. What's more entertaining than people?

Holy Blog Crisis, Batman.

6 comments:

Beth said...

AAAAAAAHHHH! How does this crap always seem to happen to you? The Internet IS a super villain! Damn you, Al Gore! AAAAHHH!!!!!

This is so weird because didn't this EXACT same thing happen to your roommate? BIZARRE! Is this the guy that you are pseudo-dating? It's E, right? DAMN! So weird!

Beth said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Beth said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Leah Lar said...

AHHHHH!!!!!!!

I know. It's just the latest in the long line of attracting people with intimacy issues because I too have them, who put themselves out there for the world to read. This always happens to me because I, as a person with issues, attract people with issues.

Incidentally, the first of my new friends said to me tonight "It seems like you might have, like, intimacy issues or something," which indicates that they are, apparently, still there.

He then said to his friend "I think Leah has intimacy issues" to which the friend responded "I'm not sure I know what they means," which struck me as funny but I'm not sure why.

But I don't care about E and the bizarre blog issue anymore, because I found out tonight that Bench Buddy, like us, is a karaoke whore!!!! Bench Buddy was sent from Heaven and was going to do karaoke on the Upper East Side after too many drinks tonight. Word.

Dr. Maureen said...

I WANT A BENCH BUDDY! No fair, no fair. You get a bench buddy sent by heaven, and I get snow brush guy. Damn.

Re: the blog issue, there are blog services out there such as diaryland that allow you to post password-protected entries. My sister is a blog-reader, and she knows about this. Just something to consider.

M

Anonymous said...

just happened to be reading that, L...sorry that this happened. The best thing to do is to talk to the dude, nothing beats face to face open communication. But don't take what you read there to heart, like an old friend told me, it's all about shits and giggles. Communication is the key that unlocks the doors of confusion. At least I do not have to worry about being in anybody's blog (i think)