Tuesday, October 26, 2004

The Votes Weren't In

So I only got one vote on what to do about the dude from The Riveria, and that was from my dear friend in France, who voted for Scenario 3.

I talked to an actual person about it - R at work - and he said "Dude, at least get a free dinner out of it! Don't tell him in advance you don't want to date him. That's mean. Get the free dinner, and say 'Look, man, I think you're cool but I'd like to just jam as friends."

After work last night I went to SoHo again in search of purple pants. I bought two purple sweaters, but no pants. I will not rest until I am the owner of purple pants! I tried on some size 0 pants that were at least four sizes to big. Infuriating.

(Sidenote 1: I have decided that when I am rich and famous I will be dressed by Dolce and Gabbana. People will say "Who are you wearing?" and I will say "Dolce and Gabbana" and then I will look coyly into the camera and pout.)

After the purple disappointment, I said "What will make up for this is a good burrito!" I'd heard of a place in Williamsburg that allegedly had good burritos, so I went there. Turned out to be an actual restaurant, so while waiting for my burrito I decided to call the dude.

(Sidenote 2: my quest for the Anna's-Equivalent-Burrito is still ongoing. I've now eaten burritos from six different places and none of them has even come close. There are so many issues - dryness, incorrect ratio of beans to rice, nastiness/run-iness of beans, nastiness of rice, bad ratio of guacamole to salsa. Last night's was ok - maybe number 2 in NY, but number 1 is not even 1/10 the burrito of the Anna's burrito!!! I am looking forward to Thanksgiving weekend if only to have an Anna's burrito.)

We were chatting, and we talked about SuperFly (it was nice to have someone to discuss SuperFly's embarrassing behavior with), the game (apparently all sorts of wonderful mayhem ensued for the hour or so after I left the Riviera last week), my job, NY. Finally I said "And what is it that you do?"

"I'm in the fashion industry."

I thought real hard and tried to remember him, and really, he's really really straight.

"Oh?"

"Actually, I just started a new job today."

"Oh?"

"Yeah. I'm really excited about it because I'm launching a new line of products."

"Oh?"

He went on to talk about how he used to work for Liz Claiborne (weird) and how he loves
sales/marketing in the fashion industry. I thought "Word. Free clothes pour moi!"

He finally wrapped back around to what he's doing at his new job, and he said "Yeah, I'm really excited about this new line of products."

"What are they?"

"It's a line of women's intimate apparel! I'm so excited - they're like these fabulous sets of matching bras and panties."

Panties. He said "panties." Heh. Heh heh.

Only in NY, folks.

Unfortunately the friend scenario won't work to my advantage, because you can't really ask your male friend to get you free "intimate apparel." What kind of man says "intimate apparel?"

The good news is that it was very light and very short, and he's low key. He travels, I told him I am busy with baseball and other nonsense this week, and he said "maybe we can grab a beer or something next week." He said he'd call next week. Totally low maintenance.

Panties. Heh.





6 comments:

Dr. Maureen said...

I emailed you my vote after reading the first line, but I guess I was a little late.

And he says "intimate apparel" because "panties" is the worst word in the English language. Except he also said "panties". I dunno.

M

Anonymous said...

come on l-it's not that i don't trust your gaydar. however, he's excited about working in fashion-women's fashion-women's intimate apparel!? i don't mean to be cynical, but...

keep me posted.
pw

Anonymous said...

I now feel like I totally don't know you. Busy with baseball? I can remember several SEVERAL instances where you were totally put off by any gathering that involved watching sports!

hehe.. panties...

--Jamie

Beth said...

Although I was slow in response, my vote was definitely "call him back and hang out with him because at the very least you can blog about him and and about panties and it will be hysterical". And, it is hysterical.

Banalities said...

Sales/marketing? Excited about intimate apparel? Fabulous sets of bras and panties? Not gay?

Only two conclusions are possible: He works with underwear models, or the unique crossover/under design and underwire support of the new bras truly does provide the most superior lift, separation and comfort.

Leah Lar said...

ahoy posting mateys!!!

i have a few of things to say:

1. you all know that i think EVERYONE is gay - i have an overactive gaydar - and this guy set off nothing!

2. although he did say "panties."

3. it's not so much that i am watching baseball because i've suddenly developed a love of sports. it's more of a statement - i've been so antagonized at the place of employment since i'm from boston ("oh, sorry honey, you come from the land of those god awful red sox"), so i HAVE to watch the games just so i can more convincingly say "nah nah nah nah nah!!!! who sucks!? oh wait - its YOU." this doesn't mean i like baseball. truly, every second of baseball-watching is agony. i watch baseball during commercials of the real world, etc. and have to drink heavily to get through it. tonight i might go watch the game at the bah, though, because it could be chaos like last week. or not, in which case i'll have to go to the bah again tomorrow. and then, if it doesn't end then, then again on saturday with M and A in costumes! yeah!