Thursday, October 28, 2004

Don't Expect There to Be Scientists In Your Entourage

Genre: Romp Stompin Broadway Number in Honor of NYC
Date: early October-ish



Description:

A song about scientists. I know some fabulous normal wonderful darling charistmatic scientists, such as LBF, R, M, and everyone's favorite physicist in CA. This song is not about them.

Lyrics:

Scientists are good at calculations and
Scientists are good at consensus sequences and tumor cells
But not so much when it comes to social skills

You can talk about concentrations and
the ever-interesting lengths of incubations and protocols
Or you can tell them how cute their kids look in the JC Penny professional photos

You are screwed if you have a personality
Don't expect to flesh out your posse with selections from your science-based company

They'll look at you like you have four heads
If you mention something with even the slightest depth

Take Brad, Joe, Steve or whoever
Who works in Cell and Molecular
I asked him about his day, he literally ran the other way
Could I really be so scary to all these folks in New York City?
I realize I'm a freak because I can't talk about my kid or dog or husband
But at least I have a little substance

Maybe I'm too much of a people person
When you try to get to know a scientist it makes them nervous
They won't tell their story
They'll look at you funny and give one word answers
God forbid they should say something witty

Maybe in four months I'll feel differently
Maybe the scientists will warm up to me and we'll discuss MTV
But I'm nearly certain that they still won't think that Teen Girl Squad is the funniest thing
And they'll just keep giggling
FOR NO GOOD REASON

Chorus

Scientists can be quirky and adorable depending on where you are



5 comments:

Dr. Maureen said...

It sounds to me like you got a bad crop of scientists there. Because I ran through the list of all the scientists I know, and most of them have a personality. Not all, of course (see my blog), but most. I know a lot who think Teen Girl Squad is the funniest thing. And I've got a person at my science-based company who is playing the chicken game with me. But maybe I've just gotten a good crop of scientists so far.

And I think Sue or whoever spammed you that above comment should be administered a severe beating.

M

Dr. Maureen said...

I forgot to say that I really like this song. It's catchy and funny too! My favorite so far.

M

Leah Lar said...

Yeah Man. Sue needs to be stopped. Wtf?

Perhaps this is just a song about scientists in NYC.
Yeah. That's more like it.

Anonymous said...

I like Science
But I hate Scientists

German
the Disgruntled Grad Student

bluesman said...

Ha ha ha ha pretty funny ..

Now what exactly is the Teen Girl Squad ....