Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Red Sox

I was talking to my former roommate last night, and she said "You really should watch the game. It's 4 - 3 in the bottom of the 7th. It will be over soon."

I resisted at first, but then thought "Will it really kill me to watch two innings of baseball?"

Heh.

I kept thinking "I've made it this far... I might as well watch another inning... after all, it can't go on forever."

Finally I said "I can't take it anymore!" and brushed my teeth to start preparing for delicious sleep.

I finished brushing my teeth, walked back into the loft, and the Red Sox had won while I was in the bathroom. Of course. The one moment I step away.

Because I am from Boston and am therefore superstitious about sports, if they are tied again tonight, and yes, I will most likely be watching the game tonight because once you start you can't stop, I will exit to brush my teeth because I am nearly certain my brushing my teeth is what caused them to win.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Totally unrelated to baseball, but what's the situation with the cell phone in the apartment? I think there's DEFINITELy something to your complaint of the satellite-cell phone dilemma. WE had a similar situation, but it was remedied when we left our cell phone company for another.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6272681/?GT1=5472

jansell

Leah Lar said...

Ah yes. The cell phone dilemma has been remedied. I did some experiments where I unplugged the DirectTV receiver and voila! Signal. Plugged it back in - no signal. I repeated this a few times, as all good scientists do before they believe their data and because I run on the paranoid side in the lab and repeat things way too many times, and each and every time no signal when receiver on, signal when receiver off. Then, on like the 6th time, my phone worked FINE when I plugged the receiver back in. Don't know. One of those mysterious good results you can't explain but I'm not questioning it, because my cell phone now miraculously works.

But I swear it didn't used to!

Dr. Maureen said...

They say the definition of insanity is when you try the same thing but expect different results. I say that's the result of living in the computer age.

"It didn't work? Well, turn the computer off, turn it back on, and do it again."

M