Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Pet Peeves

I am a person with pet peeves. Some are more reasonable than others.

Prix fixe menus are one of my major pet peeves, a peeve more unreasonable than others. I realize this, and realize that I am difficult to dine with for some because of my anti-pre-fee sentiments. I just don't see the point of someone giving me a smaller choice of what to eat and dictating how much I will pay for it. If I can CHOOSE what I would like to eat, and those things amount to $30, sweet! I'll pay $30 for food. But restricting me and then charging me $30? No.

I went out for dinner last night and spent $35 on tapas. This included a heaping plate of fruit and accompanying heaping plate of cheese, avocado spring rolls, garlic crostini with three dipping sauces, empanada, pumpkin popovers, hazlenut wantons, a shared bottle of wine and a shared glass of blueberry port. Small portions, self-chosen, constant eating.

I'm a small person with a small appetite. Prix fixe is lost on me. I don't need four courses.

I'm also a vegetarian, which makes prix fixe even more annoying.

And I'm a picky vegetarian.

Look. I just want to choose my food, dammit.

The Ls are going to dinner tonight and L suggested a prix fixe Indian vegetarian restaurant that looks very good, but is $25 before drinks. It's more buffet-style and honestly, I can't eat that much Indian food. I adore Indian food, but its heavy, and I'm not one to consume endless amounts of food anyway.

Plus, if the point of the evening was "Let's go out and spend a lot of money on dinner at a fancy restaurant because we all like to do that!" I'd be cool with that, but the point is "Let's all get together because we haven't seen each other in ages" and I can spend $10 on decent food and be quite heavy.

I am saving money, people!!! I'm trying!

I also just don't feel like going at all, which is terrible of me as I haven't seen them and probably won't again before I move.

Daylight savings messes me up.

The plan was to get up at 6:30 this morning to soak the foot and get in on time for lab meeting at 9:00.

Unfortunately this plan was thwarted by my falling asleep at around 3:30 am because

(a) foot throbbing (wtf? it's been fine)
(b) apartment being 80 degrees (literally)
(c) stress
(d) stupid Daylight Savings Time making it impossible to go to bed at midnight and
(e) counting how many hours sleep I'd get "if I fall asleep right now" and being horrified and
(f) possible agitation caused by pain killer taken to ease toe throbbing

I was up at 6:45, and am soaking now, and am REALLY IRKED because my schedule of morning things to do includes drying hair and making lunch, two things that won't occur today because I dropped my hair dryer in the toilet (thankfully not while using it) and I don't have a single piece of food in the apartment, which is causing me a lot of stress because I despise being without fruit. It induces a sort of lunacy - knowing I have to eat Subway for lunch makes me mad.

I also despise being without a hairdryer, because I will arrive at work looking like a raving lunatic with frizzy, insane hair.

Do you think its ok to use a hairdryer that's been dropped in the toilet? It will dry eventually, but how will I know when its completely dry? We grew up with a lot of "wetness and hairdryers don't mix" propaganda.

I think I am just going to buy a new one, but when? Where? I saw a fabulous pink one at Target, but is there a Target in the city? No!

I need to buy more epsom salts and trash bags tonight, so maybe they'll have the pink one at CVS.

I also need groceries.

I am hoping that the Ls will be down with meeting me near my apartment so that I can pick up a hair dryer and groceries after work.

They probably won't, because one of the Ls is stubborn and insists on driving everywhere and we are therefore restricted to restaurants with parking within a 5 block radius.

Grandmother Moment: Why live in NYC if you are going to drive everywhere? What's the point? Why live in NYC if you refuse to walk 10 blocks?

I'm tired. I'm going to remain tired all day. I'm going to be tired and frustrated and without fruit or hair dryer tonight and I am going to have a meltdown because I will have to walk 30 blocks to meet them and will be gone for over 13 hours and will have accomplished nothing. The apartment is a mess because my time here is spent confined to the stupid salt bath. My taxes are not done because I forgot to bring the W2s to work. Skepticism about the interview is winning. Nobody wants to buy the piano. I need sleep in a desperate way. Tomorrow is a potentially bad day for Father. I worked 10 hours yesterday and in my mind I can't comprehend working at all.

What I want to do tonight:

Leave work early
Go to CVS and leave with pink hair dryer, epsom salts and trash bags
Go to Amish Market and buy raspberries, bananas, apples, lettuce, cucumber, hummus, yogurt
Do puzzle
Call friends
Clean bathroom
Watch "Jesus Camp"
Go to bed super early

What I will do tonight:

Leave work late
Spend $40 on dinner
Not go to CVS
Not go to Amish Market
Call Father
Soak foot
Go to bed super late

Ugh.

I hate this week.

Until tomorrow...

No comments: