Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Wicked Embarrassed

D and I went to see Tears of the Black Tiger last night, which wasn't nearly as good as any of the reviews would have indicated.

Nevertheless, I owed D a movie from last week when we went to see Army of Shadows. Movies at the Film Forum are $10.50.

I gave the dude $25.

He gave me $22.50 in change. As we were walking away, I thought "Wait a minute! He should have given me $4 in change!"

The old me would have just kept walking, because I feel like this sort of thing is karma and I'm sure I've gotten too much change in the past and kept it.

But the new saving-money me wouldn't stand for it.

I marched back in there and said "Um, excuse me, I think you only gave me $22.50 and the total was $21 so I should have gotten $4 back."

The hipster looked at me and said "I'm pretty sure I gave you $2 and two Sacagaweas."

Oops.

I felt like such an idiot, and I was so embarrassed, and I began to apologize for not being able to tell the difference between quarters and Sacagawea coins. It's not like Sacagawea coins are really in rotation, and it was dark, and I just took them and put them in my pocket without looking at them because this is what you with two large coins that are pretty much the size of quarters.

I stopped apologizing, though, because I felt like the guy was being condescending. Upon further examination, I realized that he wasn't being condescending at all. I just felt like he was because I felt like such a moron for not knowing that they were Sacagawea coins (if I have to type that again I am going to explode) and not quarters. I wanted to go back and apologize for not apologizing enough, but that would have been ridiculous, and I'm sure he was being condescencing because he had every right to be after I accused him of giving me the wrong change.

The annoying thing about all of this is that I never ever ever do things like that, and that guy was probably thinking "I hate New Yorkers..." because that's the sort of thing New Yorkers do, only normally over three cent discrepancies.

***

In other news, I can't find my only pair of gloves and its really cold out.

***

Luckily I have mittens (although they are mittens with holes, which aren't terribly effective in this sort of weather), and a warm hat, and a scarf and super warm coat. I wore all of these things this morning and was very proud of myself for about three seconds, until my feet started to freeze.

Why? Because I am wearing chucks.

I really don't know how I get through life without my mother saying "You know, its cold outside. You should wear warm shoes." I might as well be wearing sandals.

***

I am feeling social pressure these days. Nobody is actually putting pressure on me. Because I'm in a bit of an antisocial phase that happens to coincide with my potentially moving soon-ish, there is a conflict. People want to hang out but I want to go to musicals by myself and get more sleep to decrease my brain age. I want to read books and watch movies and do art projects. Of course I want to see people, but it's hard to plan when you're not in the mood to plan anything beyond what to do alone.

***

This is why having a party would be good, but then I would have to plan that.

***

And don't even try to stop me from taking the photos for Ebay tonight!

***

I'm tired. I stayed up too late last night finishing Tricked. I don't know if I love reading graphic novels because I love them or because they're easy to read but just as fulfilling as non-graphic novels. They're good for sociocultural ADD. They're low maintenance.

***

And with that... I am going to lurk a bit and then head to the Gershwin where I will beg for a ticket to Wicked this weekend. Then I'm off to Amish where I will procure lovely fruits and veggies for the next few days. Then I shall go home and deal with bills and mailings, take photos for EBay, make at least one phone call, maybe watch a movie, eat some food, maybe post things on EBay, maybe clean the ever-grossing bathroom. Wish me luck. Having Wicked on my to-do list will make me so very happy.

No comments: