Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Engaged!

Ha! Did I get you? No, I'm not engaged. Or maybe... I am?

Not really. I guess its open to interpretation.

Heh.

Anyway.

The weekend was good. Friday night was Super Awesome Sleepover 2007. Pizza, cheap wine, goldfish, chips, cookies, Idiocracy, Playstation 2. We started to play and solved the Star Wars Lego game, the best part of which is that you can earn a ton of studs and buy "moustaches." We became, of course, obsessed with what that could mean - were disguises required at some point in the game? Disguises not a la dressed up as a storm trooper, but being hidden by a fake moustache? We earned enough to buy them - we bought nothing else for the entire game - no enhanced blasters, no invincibility, no extra characters - only moustaches. The moustaches, of course, turned out to be the best things of all time because when you turn them on, all of the characters in the game put on Tom Selleck-esque moustaches! Yoda! R2-D2! Even some of the ships have moustaches! Joy.

I hadn't played a video game since, like, 1999, when LBF and I rented Pod Racer and had a videogame night with GL. I forgot how much fun it could be. I was impressed with myself that I could actually use the controller, given that things have gotten so complicated.

The game is for 8-year-olds. I am mystified by kids today. They must all be brilliant. We got stuck in a couple levels, and kept saying "If we were 8, what would we do? Think like an 8-year-old!"

I have decided that if I ever get married, I am going to register for a Playstation. That would rule.

We spent the following day searching out brunch (another missed celebrity encounter - one of the guys from Office Space! curses! I wasn't expecting him in Brooklyn!) roaming around Park Slope, being accosted by strollers and dogs. I have determined that I should live in The Slope, because the clothes! Oh my! I bought a shirt. I didn't mean to! I hadn't bought anything all month! I was saving money! But D and MY went into the bike shop and I had nothing to do, so I walked into a store and I had to try it on.

We solved Star Wars post-Legos, and D and I headed back to the city where we did absolutely nothing productive. Yes!

On Sunday I had nothing to do, so I decided to see a musical. I saw Company, which was apparently remarkably ahead of its time. I really enjoyed it. I was trying to see Wicked, but I am starting to come to terms with the fact that I may never see it.

This is what happened:

- went to Wicked box-office on 51st
- there was some sort of raffle or something going on, plus I saw someone I knew who I didn't want to talk to, so I walked around a bit and then went back
- returned to box office, waited out raffle, went into box office and was told the show was sold out
- went to TKTS (46th) to get tickets to Spelling Bee
- no tickets at TKTS, so walked back to box office (Spelling Bee is right near Wicked) (51st)
- standing room only (wtf?)
- walked back to TKTS for other interesting tickets but nothing was really exciting me
- began walking to 42nd Street
- got to 44th Street and decided to go to Beauty and The Beast theater on 46th for tickets - but the show had already started! (thus explaining why there were no tickets at TKTS)
- walked back to TKTS just for one last chance at a rare and interesting ticket having materialized
- nothing interesting
- began walking to movie theater on 42nd St.
- passed by poster for Company on 44th St. and decided "I will see that!"
- ran like an idiot to 47th Street and got a ticket 5 minutes before it began
- woo!

I got the cheap ticket - $36 - and the guy behind the window said "The show's not going to sell out, so feel free to move up once the show has started." Word, dude. Yes, I was in the very last row of the mezzanine - I was eavesdropping and apparently the last two rows are $36 and every other ticket is $81 or more. Hah! I totally moved up to the front row of the mezzanine after intermission.

Which reminds me...

Things I WILL Miss About NYC (in no particular order):

* Being able to roll out of bed on a Sunday afternoon with no particular plan in mind and end up seeing a Broadway show for $37. (This is definitely going to be at the top of the list. I caught myself nearly shedding a tear during Company thinking about this. Sniff. Woe. Etc.)

I hit the Amish market and then D's friend S came over for dinner. We drank 2+ bottles of wine between the three of us and had a jolly time.

Trashed, I was.

As of late I have been thinking about marriage because I feel like everyone I know is getting engaged. No, that's not true. I've always known people who were married or engaged. I've been to 12 zillion weddings. I think lately I've been conscious of this because everyone is engaged and all of these people have dated for far less time than I have been dating D. So I'm a little sensitive. Well, I'm a lot sensitive. And it's weird because it's not like I want to be married right this instant. I just have this weird sense of being different, and I don't lik ethat.

Trashed, I was, and so decided to say "D, let's get married!"

Dear god. As the words were coming out of my mouth my brain was in slow motion firing neurons that yelled "Noooo........."

He didn't shrug or laugh uncomfortably or ignore it.

Nope.

He said "OK."

"OK?"

"Yes. When?"

"Ummm... you want to know when?"

"Yes, when?"

"After!" I said, horrified.

"After what?"

"After some stuff happens and then it will be after that stuff happened so it will be a good time."

And we both laughed.

But he said yes.

Tee hee.

I guess we have a verbal contract.

But when? I don't know! How should I know?

I guess this is how men must feel all the time.

I didn't even leave the house yesterday. I read some of Tricked and finished reading The Voice and watched Al Gore with too much makeup warning me about polar bears who are drowning and giant populations of giant jellyfish and CO2 levels etc. Gore can do not wrong, but he was being a little melodramatic. But I don't care, because I will always heart Al. I meant to do some Ebay-ing but procrastinated instead and updated the blogs and talked to Mother for like 3 hours. I made other phone calls but people weren't home, and when they called back I was trying to watch The Golden Globes because I was hoping hopinh hopinh Sacha Baron Cohen would win and give the best speech of all time. Apparently he did both these things, but I missed both because the show was so. very. boring and I couldn't take it and so ended up reading and watching Arrested Development.

And that, folks, was the weekend update.

4 comments:

Dr. Maureen said...

Dude, you let me talk about, like, Jack's nap schedule or something and you had news like this? WTF! I realize it's all ambiguous, but still. You should have led with that.

I wish I could go to the theater on a whim. It's my life's dream.

Leah Lar said...

Well, first of all, this hadn't happened when we were talking about Jack's nap schedule. It happed afterwards. And secondly, D was around when we were talking and there is no privacy in NYC apartments, so I had to censor myself so even if it had happened I wouldn't have been able to mention it. But now I've mentioned it to the entire world. Awesome.

Leah Lar said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Beth said...

Dude, If you were really engaged, I know you would CALL ME and TELL ME right away!