Monday, January 29, 2007

Wicked Awesome

I went to see Wicked yesterday afternoon. I managed to get myself a cheap-ish non-obstructed view obstructed view seat. I had mixed feelings about the show - it definitely wasn't my favorite, nor did it live up to the hype. I am developing a concept of what I do and do not like in a musical, which will help me when I actually begin writing a musical. I'm not sure why I didn't like it - maybe it took itself a little too seriously. I think, though, that I didn't like the music. None of the songs were catchy. They were all content, no flavor. The performances were amazing. The set was ok. The love-interest was terribly miscast. It was a wonderful adaptation of the book. I have more to say, but a review is not the point of this post.

Before the show began, I read the program. I was psyched to learn that Steve from Married With Children would be playing The Wizard! How random! How wonderful!

Now. I've had quite a few celebrities who have seen me since I moved to NYC. Some have been good stories, others not so monumental. I bumped into Matthew Modine. I walked ten blocks with Woody Harrelson. I was stared down by Willem Dafoe. Annabella Sciorra let us through in the traffic.

Nothing prepared me for the bizarreness of Nessarose being played by the girl who is in the Yoga in Bed videos, which I own.

Weird weird weird. I think I had previously felt that the Yoga in Bed girl was my imaginary friend. Like we hang out in my bedroom in the mornings and at night, when she helps me to stretch out my body and to improve my mood. She isn't supposed to talk. She's definitely not supposed to sing and be in a wheelchair. She's supposed to pose on the bed and help me get into shape. Every now and then she can smile and hold the cup of coffee and reassure you that your day is going to be ok. She doesn't really exist.

Apparently she does exist. She lives in NYC and is a Broadway star by day, Yoga-inspirer by morning and evening. I wanted to give her the sort of hug I'd give to an old friend who granted me a huge favor the last time I saw her and for some reason I never got to thank her.

Steve and Yoga-in-Bed-Girl on stage together.

Wicked weird.

1 comment:

Beth said...

your story cracks me up. I feel like we were talking about "yoga in bed" a long time ago as if it were an amusing thing that existed and "wouldn't it be funny to try?" and now it is a real thing and you have had a real encounter with a real person who MADE this improbable thing called "yoga in bed". Hysterical! I'm glad to know that the video has been working for you! Now I feel compelled to try it. Did you get it off netflix or did you buy it? I'll have to look around now.