Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Fiance

While D was eating 10 cent wings that were not 10 cents last night...

(Aside: the sign read "Happy Hour 5 - 7; 10 cent wings!," the bill said that wings were not 10 cents, when we asked the waitress she said "It's half priced margaritas from 5 - 7, and then the wings are 10 cents at 7:00, is that a problem?," yes but we didn't say so, because in NYC you have to ask first or else you will be taken advantage of, but really, wtf? the sign said nothing about half priced drinks and clearly said 5 - 7 - i hate everyone!)

... he said "So when I wrote back to the guy (potential interview!) I called you my fiance."

Silence.

"I said that my fiance and I were hoping to move to Boston this year."

"Why?"

"I thought that it would establish me as more serious. If you have a fiance or wife people take you more seriously in the work environment."

"Huh."

Change of topic.

"But what if he asks you questions about the wedding on the interview to make small talk? What will you say?"

"I'll say we haven't really made any decisions."

New topic.

"But what will I say if you get the job and I'm at the company party with you and the people who have no idea what to talk to me about ask me how the wedding planning is going?"

"I don't know. You can just say its going fine."

Yet another topic.

"What if I start to cry when someone asks me about the wedding and we're not actually getting married and that makes me sad?"

Yeah. He definitely shouldn't have mentioned it to me, but I guess he had to just in case it ever comes up. It probably won't, even if he gets an offer and takes the job, because whoever the random guy is in HR to whom he sent the email probably paid no attention to it whatsoever.

Of course I wanted to be like "Thanks for using me as something to establish you as someone who is serious about his future when you are obviously a person who doesn't think about his future and who fears commitment."

Well, I only felt that way for about a second.

Mostly I felt like "Wow, he told a complete stranger in an email that I'm his fiance! He must like me a lot!"

Sometimes I felt like "I can't believe he lied to a potential future employer" but then understood why he had to, because it would be weird to be like "My girlfriend and I..." But why make mention of it at all?

And why do I care? I actually don't care, but I did last night, because I was imagining all of the ladies at the company party asking to see my ring and my having a total breakdown and being like "We're not engaged! We never will be! He can't commit! He's making it all up to be taken seriously in the work environment!"

Hehe.

I'm insane, but truthfully, today its because of the hormones.

1 comment:

Beth said...

Dude! You know that D is going to propose to you. It's obvious. Just relax about it. You don't want to force him into it by emotional blackmail. He's all over the wedding scenario. That's exciting!!