Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Flowers

I've received flowers at work a total of two times.

The first time: A vile coworker of mine was dating a man who for some incomprehensible reason found himself smitten with her to the point that he sent flowers all the time. Elaborate bouquets. Dozens upon dozens of fancy roses. She didn't know where to put them, there were so many! The receptionist kept some in the lobby, because they were so fancy that they looked like corporate-sanctioned lobby flowers.

I was admittedly jealous, and often complained "How come she gets flowers all the time? I never get flowers! I've never gotten flowers at work!" My coworkers explained that the frequency of flowers was an almost guarantee that their relationship wouldn't last (it didn't, despite the blingiest ring you ever did see), that it meant nothing, that I shouldn't compare myself to her, etc. I shouldn't compare myself to anyone, but flowers are pretty! Who wouldn't want flowers?

When my birthday rolled around that year, flowers appeared! I was so very excited. I couldn't contain myself! Who could they be from? Who even knew my work address?

And of course... they were from my crazy coworkers, who signed it "Your crazy coworkers." Delightful.

The second time: Seated anxiously by the phone all day awaiting news, I finally got a phone call and jumped a mile high, my heard pounding. I looked at the phone and saw a weird extension. "Hello?" I asked, timid. "There's a delivery for you down here. Can you get away for a moment to sign for it?"

I was confused, as I'd never received a phone call for a delivery. Normally the packages appear, and I sign for them then. I said I'd be down, and on my way down realized I wasn't even sure where to go to pick up a package.

When I got downstairs, the receptionist smiled at me. I walked to her desk and grabbed a styrofoam container that clearly housed something that had to be frozen immediately. "Not that one," she said as she glanced at the foam, and pointed me instead the direction of... flowers!

I couldn't contain myself. Who could they be from?

I walked upstairs and was the envy of all women. "Is it your birthday?" someone asked.

R saw me and said "Oh my god, is it a marriage proposal? Open the card! OPEN THE CARD!"

"I don't think so..." I said.

LN said "Oooohhhhh.... who are the from?"

When I opened the card, I nearly cried. "It's from my friends," I said.

"Why?" said MM.

"Because they love me."

"Wow, you have nice friends" said SP.

"I know," I said. "I'm very lucky."

LN said "I thought it was from D, and figured you guys had had a big fight."

"Or that you were getting married," SP giggled.

We all giggled.

No marriage proposal, no fight, no drama. Just good friends.

And that's all I need right now.

I am so very lucky.

2 comments:

Reb said...

Dude....I remember the co-worker/situation you speak of...man that was nuts! I was expecting her to get a HorseShoe arrangment of roses next so she could wear them around her neck and rub it in!!!

love you

Miss Pickle said...

It's always nice to have friends like that!

Glad that you're back, and hope that you're OK after whatever it was that happened. :O)