Monday, April 03, 2006

Willem Dafoe Saw Me!

I snuck out of work early on Friday night to accompany D on his mission to find burner gel whatever for the new fondue set.

As we walked down Wooster Street, I told D about our coworker who was visiting his girlfriend's brother in Boston this weekend. With animation, I ranted on behalf of our colleague who was going to be forced to sleep on an air mattress in a separate room from his girlfriend because of her brother's religious tendencies.

Mid-rant, I saw someone walking towards us who I thought I recognized.

It was Willem Dafoe! What a great sighting!

I continued my story so as not to seem too obvious, but couldn't help staring at him. As we crossed paths, I continued to stare at him and HE STARED BACK AT ME, in scary Willem Dafoe style. His eyes got small and he snarled, and he stared me down! He won as I looked away.

Scary! But awesome.

I heart Willem Dafoe, but he apparently hates me.

I don't hold it against him. I went to see Inside Man yesterday and was happy to find that my friend Willem was in it.

I think this was my favorite being-sighted-by-a-celebrity thus far.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

was he all tiny?

i once saw lou reed in the w village, but would not have recognized him if my friend didn't point him out. i am v. bad at sightings. see also: self-absorbed.

Leah Lar said...

Yeah, he was totally tiny with a big, huge, scary head.

I love these celebrity sightings because more often than not, you think you know the person. You don't automatically think "Whoa! Willem Dafoe!" When D saw him, he assumed that he was a coworker of ours and almost said hi.

I've missed some, though. Someone will point someone out and it will be too late, and my heart will be broken.

Banalities said...

Oh my God! Willem Defoe!

I'm so glad I don't live in a place where I see celebrities all the time. If Willem Defoe were giving me the stare down and snarling at me, I would with no doubt in my mind, on reflex alone, pull out the Shadow of the Vampire face, scrunch my hands into the vampire/Mr Burns claws, and hiss, "Ith's naughth yer picture enni longair!" And there is no doubt in my mind that Willem Defoe would blink first.

Beth said...

Wow! I am SO scared by Willem Dafoe. Your scary encounter with him just confirms it for me. He's a scary fucker.