Tuesday, March 07, 2006

They Went to Chicago To Feel Better...

... and it worked.

My time in Chicago was spent:

Continuously marvelling at my boyfriend's uncanny sense of direction. The man cannot be lost. It is impossible. He has superpowers.

Marvelling, then, at the fact that D is afraid only of the one thing that I am not afraid of, which is heights.

Looking out windows and saying "I could do this all day."

Discussing what makes a city a good city. Then, of course, debating what traits the perfect city would have, discussing ease and method of public transportation (above ground trains are the bestest), use of space, cleanliness, brightness, homogeneity of architecture (he said "I prefer gritty, this is too sterile"), kindness of people (he said "Sometimes it's not good for people to sugar coat things. At least New Yorkers tell it like it is" to which I responded "Why do I need to be told how it is by a complete stranger behind a cash register?"), proximity to water and mountains, diversity, etc.

Saying "This is my favorite city" to one another, over and over again.

Saying "I'm having so much fun!" to one another, over and over again.

Remarking that this was the first time we'd ever gone away, just us, and how it's actually quite nice, isn't it?

Declaring "We should do this more often!" and then listing various cities in the middle that we've never been to that need to be seen to compile data about the perfect city, such as Detroit, Indianapolis, we should perhaps visit Wisconsin, etc. etc. etc. "We will take more long weekends!" "We should visit every city that has a Cereality!" "We have to go to Europe soon soon soon please could we maybe just plan to?!"

Looking up and whispering "This is so beautiful." He kept saying "How do they keep it so clean?" and then "It's because in New York City there's SO MUCH corruption."

Having my guard be down, noticing that I live now with my guard up and wanting to be a person who has the capacity to be friendly to strangers.

Realizing that a Friendly City is not a place I've ever lived.

Not missing New York City at all.

Wanting to live somewhere entirely new.

Wanting to share entirely new things with D all the time. There's something sweet about experiencing something for the first time at the same time, even if I'm always confused and he always knows exactly what's going on. I love sharing the awe and the panic and the newness.

Gasping at how little natives of Chicago wear when its ridiculously cold outside. "Open jackets in the snow? Are these people insane?" "They are not even wearing hats!" "It's not actually that windy... but damn is it cold."

Etc.

Photos forthcoming...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Detroit is not the perfect city; please do not go there!