Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Crash? NO!

Speaking of Paceys and Joeys, is it not the best thing ever that a Dawson's Creek alum was nominated for an Oscar? How adorable did Michelle Williams look post-baby in her yellow dress? Sigh. I thought she was prettiest.

And yes, I did in fact watch The Oscars while in Chicago. When D proposed going away for the weekend, I said "Only if I am able to watch The Oscars from our hotel room in the sky."

D, who has never seen The Oscars, agreed. Bless him.

Some thoughts:

1. Michelle Williams = prettiest.

2. John Stewart was great. I thought he was irreverent and wonderful. Others seem to disagree, but I don't care. He had me laughing out loud.

3. Naomi Watts looked awful.

4. Selma Hayek is ridiculously gorgeous and I therefore hate her.

5. I was psyched that Phillip Seymour-Hoffman won, although I felt bad for Heath Ledger. He really did do a great job. It was an amazing year for movies.

6. Which is probably why Good Night and Good Luck didn't win anything.

7. But that is ok because they gave The Oscar to The Cloone to make up for it. I have nothing to say about George Clooney other than sigh. And more sighing. I love that straight men have crushes on George Clooney. I love that Oscar Winner George Clooney used to be on The Facts of Life.

8. Reese Witherspoon never fails to cute me to death.

9. Crash!? WTF?!?!? I am still in denial about this. Not even Don Cheadle could save that one. That was actually one of my most-hated movies of the year. It was so obvious. It beat the audience over the head with every little thing. It has been done. It's nothing new. It's nothing!!! I hated that movie! I am so so so so very very very very upset.

10. At least Ang Lee won. He, too, is too cute to handle.

11. The short film I wanted to win did not win, but I understand why the Irish one did (the one with the bloody bunny).

12. Keanu Reeves. Oscar presenter. I have no idea. I think its safe to say that we will never be saying something like "I love that Oscar Winner Keanu Reeves starred in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure."

13. I feel bad for Munich. It was such a good movie, and in any other year it would have cleaned up.

14. I will always be in love with the guys from The WETA Workshop.

15. Felicity Huffman has obscenely straight teeth.

16. On the topic of makeup - how do these women (or, how do these women's makeup artists) apply makeup so as to look like they are not wearing any makeup? Miraculous and beautiful.

17. Dolly Parton - whoa! She's so difficult to look at yet her personality is adorable. I just don't know what to make of her. I also don't know what to make of movie interpretive dance. I thought they weren't doing that anymore!

18. Rachel McAdams is so irrelevant. Why did she get to host the science/technology pre-Oscar ceremony!?

19. The guys who made Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Were Rabbit won, and they were wearing matching absurd ties, and came prepared with little matching absurd ties to put on their Oscars!

20. Random movie genre montages. Right.

21. I think Crash only won because it is set in LA. Hmph. Stupid academy.

22. Watching The Oscars in Central Time is way easier than watching them on the east coast. They ended early! I never once thought "Oh my god I have to work tomorrow will this ever end?" Then again, I didn't have to work the following day so perhaps that's why I didn't care.

Regardless, it was a lackluster evening. Lots of lame-ish not-quite-celebrities like Jessica Alba. I wasn't as interested in the show as I was in the cheese and crackers and wine I consumed while watching from bed. Ah, hotels and your large beds and TVs without static.

2 comments:

Reb said...

Hello Darling!!!!

Bless you for this review! Thank YOU!

The best Oscar Year was when we met Viggo Mortensen at the loft pre-show party. hee hee

Nothing like sound-delay between two TVs.

Banalities said...

You know what the Jon Stewart thing felt like? He had funny jokes, but he wasn't getting the right reactions, so he switched to a set of toned-down, Oscar-safe jokes. I found the jokes I enjoyed the most were the ones the audience tittered at.

The stinker was the Scientology joke, as they were coming back from commercial break, but its crappiness was mitigated by the look of embittered persecution on Joaquim Phoenix's face.