Friday, March 31, 2006

How To Survive A Robot Uprising

That's the name of a book that I really want to read, but since I am poor, I have to wait for it to become available on Paperback Swap, which it never will.

I went to see this film called Puzzlehead at The Pioneer this week. I actually saw many movies this week (more on that later). Puzzlehead has been nearly a decade in the making by a former Columbia film student. It deals with a post-apocalyptic world (Brooklyn) in which robot-making, for a reason left, has been banned. A rogue scientist decides, in spite of this, to create an android in his likeness. The scientist originally starts teaching the robot, but ultimately decides to use the robot as a slave for chores around the house, etc. As you might predict, the robot evolves conscienceness and feelings and even memories, and, well, it's not a good scene.

The movie was good. The filmmaker (who was at the screening) made some interesting choices that were difficult to get used to at first, but that really contributed to the overall vibe of the movie.

Instead of going to the Whitney Biennial tonight, I am going to go home and work on a song about Puzzlehead as a companion piece to My Mundane Life In Song's early hit It Is Cool When Tons of Robots Climb on Things.

And for your re-listening pleasure, here it is!




Name: It Is Cool When Tons of Robots Climb On Things
Genre: Robot-inspired electronic waltz
Date: 7.16.04 (the Somerville era!)

Description:

Briefly, I went to see I, Robot and really liked it even though I didn't want to. But I'm a sucker for robots! And I love this song. Love it love it love it. I almost played it at the open mic because I love it that much.

Lyrics:
Will Smith is flexing his robotic arm
Will Smith is gratuitously showering
And placing products such as Converse
But I liked the movie anyway

Cuz robots rule
And it is cool
When tons of robots climb on things
And take over
The people who made them

What's with the robot detsroying that guy's house
And why the kid? Oh - Viki did it
And is Will Smith really flexing his robotic arm again?

Robots rule
And it is cool
When robots fight and robots feel
Despite bad one liners
And bad acting and a bad screenplay
"I, Robot" was fun anyway
I'll take a robot story anyway
But only if they revolt against people

1 comment:

Beth said...

Awesome! I love your robot song and I look forward to the new one. I want to read that book now, too. Amazon.com is offering a special, you can buy that book AND "how to survive a zombie attack" for $20. I may have to get it and I'll lend it to you.