Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Apartment Listings

I didn't sleep well again last night. I hate the sounds of the city. I hate the cabs and the screaming and the hip hop and the arguments. I still haven't gotten used to it.

I decided to look at apartment listings today, just for kicks. Park Slope, Astoria, anywhere where there isn't a gas station and where there is some sense of neighborhood.

Rental rates in and around the city have apparently increased drastically since I got my apartment a year ago. I can't believe how much studios are! And I don't even want a studio! I (we?) need at least a 1 br, with a closet or two, please.

I am surprised by the lack of photos accompanying postings.

I am also surprised that when there is a photo accompanying a posting, it is most likely a picture of the outside of the building in which your 120 square foot apartment will be found. As if people in NYC care what the outside of their building looks like! I'm not sure that I even know what the outside of my current building looks like.

What would be better would be photos of your potential neighbors, so you could know if you'd be surrounded by lunacy or not.

Or, better yet, photos of the actual apartment without the aid of a wide angle lens! And if that's too difficult, perhaps there could be actual words describing WHAT THE APARTMENT IS LIKE. Perhaps a mention of square footage? Closets? Floors? Location? Exposed brick please please please?

This apartment will not disappoint visiting parents!

This apartment has enough space for you to store more than five pairs of shoes!

This apartment has enough counter space to cut one vegetable at a time!

You can have two of your closest friends over in this apartment!

You will be able to steal wireless internet in one corner of this unit!

You will be able to shave your legs without having to be a contortionist!

I want to move, but I'm not looking forward to another round of showers in the kitchen and frantically trying to sell everything I own so as to be able to fit a bed and multiple dressers and a piano and gear and someday his bikes and his cycling accessories and his paintings and when I think of these things I think that NJ sounds really attractive.

No comments: