Thursday, February 09, 2006

Happeeeee

I am home sick from work today, but not because I am super sick (still feeling slightly under the weather, but not dramatic enough to stay home). I am home sick today because I was sick yesterday and worked like a maniac in anticipation of being sick today, therefore getting all of my work done. Which means I would have nothing to do at work today other than stare at my computer and work on side projects, which I would prefer to do from the flannel sheets of my bed.

It is a good idea for me to take a day off, though, as I've been sick-ish for the past week and haven't had time to recuperate. I wouldn't be feeling at all bad now if I'd taken a real sick day last week to recover. I have no guilt.

I should, of course, be sleeping, but the idea of side projects is to enticing. I did a first run through my taxes. NY state taxes are far more annoying than MA state taxes, which are straightforward. I've been doing my taxes online for the past few years (well, not last year, as they were complicated with the move etc.), and its torture because the program calculates your refund as you go through the forms, so you start off thinking "Holy god the state is giving me back $1500!" to "I can't believe they are charging me MORE FREAKING MONEY TO LIVE IN THIS UNAFFORDABLE CITY THOSE BASTARDS!"

More importantly...

I was the happiest I have been in ages last night! D and I went to see "The Pajama Game." Well, D was dragged and I went voluntarily to watch my favorite musical ever.

My love for "The Pajama Game" began in college, when my friends and I went to see the university's production for a mere $5. We went to see everything back then (because everything was $5 for students) and didn't have high expectations. Needless to say we were enamored, and I have been obsessed ever since.

D and I went to a wedding a few months back, and we were seated at a table with an older gentleman who actually writes musical theater. We got to talking about musical theater, singing songs, etc., when I mentioned my love for "The Pajama Game." It is his favorite too! After singing some duets he said "Did you know that there is going to be a revival?" "GET OUT!" "Starring Harry Connick Jr?" "NO!" "Soon?" "DO NOT TOY WITH ME, SIR!"

This is the conversation that precipitated the week-long debate/fight between D and I about my meeting Harry Connick Jr. at a bar and how D would just give up and let me date Harry. I was like "But wouldn't you fight for me?" "No." "If you went out with Kirsten Dunst I would totally try to convince you otherwise! I would try to win you back!"

Of course, convincing D not to date Kirsten Dunst would probably easier, as she is skanky and not terribly talented.

Whereas Harry... meow.

My obsession with Harry predates my obsession with "The Pajama Game." Ever since I bought his album at the beginning of high school...

Things to love about Harry: 1. His voice - it will melt you. 2. His piano playing - retarded. He's been performing since he was 5 years old. 3. His songs - delicious. 4. He's wholesome and not sketchy. 5. His New Orleans accent. 6. His, ahem, looks.

When Harry started acting, I was a spaz. I watched "Memphis Belle" 3000 times.

I never got to see Harry live. I could never find someone to go with, and tickets were always expensive as he tends to appeal to an older, more sophisticated, fur-wearing set. I always regretted not seeing him. I so wanted to see him play piano. Nothing would make me happier.

Lately I've fallen out of love with him, because as you get older you fall out of love with things.

I want to fall back in love with things.

So the tickets went on sale for "The Pajama Game," and they were way too expensive. The least expensive tickets were like $85, and those sold out, which meant I'd be spending $111 to see it.

Initially I thought that was too much money, but as more and more time went by, I got more and more upset about not getting to see Harry. I compulsively checked Craigslist for a spare ticket, thought about what shoes could be purchased with $111 but handling and service charge, and decided that I would just go alone, because it was worth $120 to me, especially since I am turning, ahem, 30 years old.

But then! A miracle! When I first moved here I joined an online service that sells discounted theater tickets!

And they sent me an email! For discounted PJG tickets! For only $60!

I called D immediately, out of breath, and said "Ohmygoddiscountpajamagametickets!" And then "You have to come with me! For my birthday! PLEASE! It would mean so much! I will buy them! You have to come with me! You have to witness me this happy!'

I counted the seconds since the moment of ticket purchase, and last night was the night.

Now. You would think, given how high my expectations were for this, that they would not be met. I could only be met with disappointment.

HELL NO! It was BETTER than I could even dream of.

I think that it was actually the best musical I've ever seen.

Not just because of Harry. Because of everything. Everyone in it was amazing. Michael McKeon was in it and he was hilarious, playing a part he was born to play. The timing was exquisite, it was funny, colorful, creative. The set was adorable. There were giant buttons framing the entire thing, and a pajama conveyor-belt thing at the top of the stage (like the doors in Monsters Inc.). The singing was awesome.

And Harry... oh, Harry.

During the Hernando's Hideaway scene, they added a part where Harry, thank you thank you thank you thank you, PLAYED THE PIANO! Gasp! D said "Now you can say that you saw him play the piano!" D said this when Harry was jokingly playing single notes, but then he burst into an all-out musical number and he rocked the piano harder than I have ever seen anyone rock it live. Oh my god.

I kept thinking "If I had to die at any point up until now, I would like to die right now, because I am truly happy."

At the end, when the cast bowed after the pajama fashion show (and yes, Harry was shirtless! the vapors!), I stood up because a standing ovation was deserved. Everyone in the crowd loved it. It was just pure pajama fun.

The only bad thing was that I had to, well, relieve myself about 10 minutes through Act I. This is the problem with knowing a musical - you know there are no good times to leave because you know how much you love everything. I didn't know if musicals are like the ballet and they won't let you back in once you've left. So I held it. For an hour. Torture.

I knew when Act I was going to end, so I bolted just as soon as the lights were about to go out.

When I returned, I asked one of the ushers what the protocol was. We got to chatting, and another usher came over to elucidate the rules. He said "You're too polite." He then asked the girl usher what she thought, and she said that she was loving it. "I know," I said. "How long were you holding it?" she asked. "Since the second song... but I didn't want to miss my favorite song." "Which is your favorite?" "'There Once Was a Man.'" "Yes!" she said. The male usher then said "I used to hate that number." "No!" we said. "Seriously. It was terrible up until a week ago." "NO!" "Yes! Harry was so stiff. He was just standing there. It was awful."

I'd noticed that Harry was a bit uncomfortable with the dancing so I said "Oh, I thought he did just fine in that number. But he was a little rigid for the swingdancing at the company picnic."

We chatted a bit more, and then I sat down.

Then I thought "Whoa! That guy sort of broke through the 4th wall with that comment... talking about Harry like that instead of the character of Sid... there must be some rule against giving the audience that sort of secret information about the production..." and then "Wait - who was that guy? Clearly he is involved in the rehearsals... what if he goes back to Harry and tells him that some girl thought his dancing was rigid? I will feel terrible!" and then "But he will be talking to Harry about ME! AHHHHHHH!!!!"

D actually liked it. He didn't love it, because he will never love the theater, but he liked it. He laughed a lot and gasped when Harry started going nuts on the piano. He emailed me this morning and recapped that he "had fun at the show." He said he liked it much better than "Spamalot." He is learning! I have to figure out a way to get him addicted.

I bought a Pajama Game magnet because the t-shirt was $30! The soundtrack isn't out yet, but needless to say I will be compulsively checking Amazon for it and then buying it as soon as it is available.

It was perfect.

Well, not quite. The one and only thing that could have made it better is if Harry had been playing the piano, ahem, shirtless.

1 comment:

Lissa said...

I also Luurrvve Harry... *Sigh*
SO Jealous right now!