Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Another One Bites the Dust

M and her husband A came to visit NYC (well, I guess they came to visit ME!) this past weekend. They arrived on Friday evening, the night of M's very important birthday. M and A hadn't seen The New Apartment (which is not so new anymore - I have been living there for 9 months!) and were quite taken with it, which made me happy, since most people say things like "This is so small!" or "How do you live like this?" or, in the case of The Parents, "Why don't you have napkins?" They appreciated the size and the decoration and it meant oh so much. We celebrated the last couple of hours of M's birthday with brownies (thanks to D, god of the baked goods, although some may argue that making brownies does not make one a god, but I would disagree) and different flavors of ice cream and whipped cream and hot fudge and raspberries. We watched some old Star Trek episodes to have something to make fun of, and stayed up late despite 3/4 of the people in the apartment being, ahem, over 30.

On Saturday we threw together breakfast. This was the first time I'd had more than two people trying to eat an actual meal in my apartment and it wasn't terrible, although it was a tight squeeze in the kitchen. A and I then spent far too long conducting detailed experiments with my new camera, comparing lenses and bodies on the computer and then on the TV. I think the conclusion on that day was that it is my computer that is the problem, but the photos still seem fuzzy on my computer at work. But not on the TV. I have no idea.

Eventually satisfied with our results, the three of us headed up to the MOMA to see some of the permanent collection and a mediocre new photography exhibit. We then "shopped" at the MOMA Design Store, where I, as usual, spent a large percetage of the time fantasizing about being rich and therefore being able to have things like cool salt and pepper shakers and toasters.

We met up with D at Eatery, which was crowded and not giving tables to losers without reservations (us). We decided to walk south on 9th Avenue to a decent Mexican restaurant D and I had been to ages ago. We found it (although I didn't think it was the same one) and were pleased to see that it was not crowded.

I said "This feels like being in Buenos Aires!" D, M, A and I spent an entire week going to meals together when we were in Argentina. We hadn't seen each other since, and I got nostalgic.

M said "Complete with good looking waiter..."

"YES!" I said, trying to stifle my drooling.

M and I have nearly complete divergence in taste with regards to what makes a man hot. There is little to no overlap. But the host at the restaurant... dear god... he was Buenos Aires level good-looking, if not moreso. We kept staring at him and I gave up trying to be subtle. I wished to fix him up with my gay friend, who, incidentally, I am so happy to have in my life because today (today is his birthday!, but he, curse him, is not yet 30) he noticed that my hair looked fabulous, which it does, because I spent like half an hour working on it this morning because lately I've been feeling hideous.

On top of having amazingly goodlooking waitstaff and not actually being the restaurant we thought that it was, it had the best burrito ever. How happy am I? Obscenely happy. I can't wait to go back and inhale another burrito.

M, A and I then saw The Producers, which was lovely. The seats were way up there and I started rocking the headache that resulted from one margerita, but it was fun anyway. I can't wait to re-watch the season of Curb Your Enthusiasm in which Larry David stars in The Producers. It will be meaningful in addition to funny this time around.

We watched a bit of Saturday Night Live after D came back. Despite its being actually funny, we, in true 30 and almost-30-year-old style, went to bed before 1 am. (I can't believe that I live in NYC and go to bed this early! When I used to hang out here before living here, I went to bed at like 5 or 6 am every night!)

M and A went to church on Sunday morning while D and I spent some time working on a video project we've been considering. The four of us had brunch at a diner on 34th Street. D then headed off to do D things, A went to B & H to buy filters, while M and I went to Macy's. M found the jeans she's been looking for, rode the wooden escalator, and marvelled at the giant that is Macy's.

A met us just as we began looking at shoes, which was unfortunate since the agreement was that we would stop looking at shoes when A arrived, as A, for some bizarre and inexplicable reason, does not enjoy looking at shoes. We decided to go up to the wedding registry department to look at china (not that anyone is fantasizing about wedding registries, mind you) and then to the furniture department. The three of us fell onto this red couch and M and A said "We love this couch!" and decided that, since the price was right, there was a chance that they could buy it for their grown up house that they own! A claimed that delivery was $5 to $6, so they took a fabric sample and may one day have that couch alongside the lamp they bought in NYC!

Back at my apartment we had snacks and said our farewells. I was sad to see them go because I do not plan to go back to MA any time soon, as I may be moving back there soon enough. Hopefully they will have a chance to visit one or two more times before I am no longer a New Yorker.

Sniff.

No comments: