Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Real Date

I got out of work early yesterday. This was due to my getting into work obscenely early in order to perform the function of "Hair Model."

A student from the salon downstairs had been looking for "models" on the street last week. A coworker spread the word, and a bunch of us made appointments for $20 in the salon I normally go to. I know. It's awkward. Not only did I run into my former hairdresser after having gotten a haircut in Argentina, but yesterday I ran into her at her own salon while getting my hair cut by someone else. Caught in the act! It's her fault, though. She charges $80 now.

The best thing about this was that my hairdresser kept referring to me as "a model."

The worst thing was that the haircut took two hours. My hairdresser was very insecure, which I guess is a good thing, and kept checking with the master hairdresser before making a move. My hair looks amazing and may be the best haircut I've ever gotten. It actually stays flat. It's quite miraculous. Everyone at the salon was very impressed.

When I returned to work from my haircut, I called D and said "You have to come see my hair!" When he arrived, I said "We should go on a date because I have such good hair!"

I got out early, which meant we had a ton of time to have a good date.

It was such a good date!

We started off with shopping in SoHo. We looked for new eyeglasses for D and took photos of the top contenders. We then looked at coats for D, after which I bought an argyle scarf (which I'd been looking for for the entirety of last winter) and gloves. Yes, gloves. I may have given up on mittens. At least for the time being. I had to cave in because its 25 degrees right now and my hands were cold. I am, however, now better at being a girl because my scarf and gloves match one another, and both look good with my coat.

After more shopping we ended up at a cute new restaurant in Nolita. We ordered apple martinis but they couldn't make them. They recommended, instead, applie pie caramel martinis that came with caramel lining the rim. Yes! We split garlic mashed potatoes and crispy macaroni and cheese rolls. That's right - crispy macaroni and cheese rolls with a smoked gouda sauce.

We then headed off in pursuit of other date-like activities. D was in the mood for happy hour, and bolted into this bar the minute he saw "$5 Raspberry Cosmos!" on a chalkboard outside its door. It was a dive - dark, barren, and marvelous. "I really want to play pool!" D said. "OK, but I suck. Hard," I said. "Me too," said D. We then embarked on what I thought would be the longest game of pool of all time.

D thought I'd lied because I got three balls in right away. I guess I was at that perfect level of intoxication during which your focus is at a maximum and your anxiety is at a minimum. I am good at pool for about 15 minutes when this happens. Otherwise my playing pool is a hilarious disaster.

D definitely lied, as he is very good at pool.

The game only lasted about 5 minutes. It would have been even shorter had I not gotten the white one in four times.

We split two raspberry cosmos and then headed back out into the cold.

We decided to walk towards D's house in pursuit of a meal since he was not wearing a coat (why do boys do this?) and it was about 20 degrees out. We figured if we didn't find anything acceptable to eat, we'd at least be close to home and the potential of food there.

We ended up at a new comedy club on Bleeker. They wooed us in with the promise of free comedy, but told us, when we sat down right in front of the stage, that there was a two drink or two food minimum purchase per person.

Fine, we thought, since we were hungry. I didn't want to drink, but figured D would want a couple more.

Of course it ended up being a two drink minimum per person, food not mattering, so we ended up paying for two drinks that we didn't even order. Assholes. And the drinks that we did have were disgusting.

The show itself was much better than I'd expected. There was a lot of audience interaction, which made it imtimate. You know the sort of thing where the comedian onstage asks people questions about themselves, and then all of the remaining comics make fun of them for the remainder of the evening.

D and I got pegged as the "happy couple" when the first comic asked D how long we'd been together. D said, enthusiastically, "11 months and 7 days" and all of the women in the room said "Awww......"

D = very cute last night.

When asked if he loved me, he declared "FUCK YEAH!"

Awesome date, folks. We never do stuff like this. We never take the time to just run around our city and find things to do. We're always pressed for time, feeling obligated to do things, checking things off the list.

Last night was the most fun I've had in a long time.

And with that, I bid you all the happiest of Thanksgivings.

And do not fret - My Mundane Life In Song will return next Monday.

Word.

1 comment:

Beth said...

Awesome! good for you! Could you explain to me how it is not possible to make an apple martini but it is possible to make a caramel apple martini? WTF? Aren't they just variations of the same thing?