Saturday, October 29, 2005

The View

I went to the Met today and was reminded why I live in New York City.

Last night was an emotional drain and I needed some good hand-holding one-on-one time with the boyfriend. I was thrilled this morning when he declared "Look, today we should go to a museum of some sort. The Whitney or..." and then proceeded to list a million museums that are on the long list of museums-to-go-to that we will never have time to go to. He ended with "... or The Met." In a rare moment of assertiveness, I said "Look, I don't think I can look at another piece of contemporary art for at least two weeks. Let's go to The Met."

We looked at mummies and armor and a hilarious exhibit on photography and the occult and Van Gogh drawings and some Santiago Calatrava sculptures (and no, the exhibit did not feature his bridge from Buenos Aires) and smiled and ooh-ed and aah-ed and said things like "I knew you would like that because I know your taste now." I revelled in being able to look at skilled art that's good without being challenging. I liked Van Gogh's sketches of trees because that's all they were.

We ran to the roof, excited to see the Sol Lewitt sculptures but more excited to see our city.

"This is why I live here," I said as soon as I stepped into the freezing air up there and saw the view. I gasped. I looked at my favorite new building from above. D said "There's your building. It's a really good addition to the skyline."

I am feeling better about New York City today because today was easy and made us both happy. No amount of cockroaches that just walked past my alarm clock as I was about to set it for my nap that isn't going to happen can prevent my happiness! No getting dark earlier will interfere with my enjoying life! No! I will just think about mummies and everything will be fine.

And... here are some photos!

Sol Lewitt 1

Sol Lewitt 2

Met 3

Met 1

Met 2

No comments: