Thursday, October 13, 2005

Faith

Sister came to visit this weekend.

After gorging ourselves at Kate's Joint on Sunday night, we headed to Williamsburg to engage in the long weekend ritual of Sid and Buddy Karaoke at Galapagos.

We vowed to get there early this time, so as to actually get to perform karaoke.

I went on early, committing a karoake faux pas by performing a song I've performed at Sid and Buddy in the past. Whatever. I was nervous.

Members of Sister's entourage performed intermittently.

And then... D! I was nervous for him. It's that phenomenon of being a stage mother - so excited that your loved one is on stage, but terrified that something terrible will happen. D makes up for in enthusiasm what he lacks in pitch.

Sid put on D's song, but it wasn't the right song! D said "This isn't the song."

Sid fumbled and, a minute later, put on the correct song. Except it was the wrong song again! The same wrong song. It was "I Saw Him Standing There," the Tiffany version. D later said "I wanted 'I Think We're Alone Now,' the Tiffany version. Where did he get that?" Someone had actually seen D right down "I Saw Him Standing There," but there was no arguing with him.

"That's not it!" he said from the stage.

"That's what you put," Sid said.

"No, it's not," D said.

Sid said "No, no, stay there..." as D began to leave the stage. "We're going to do karaoke roulette!"

What!?

"I'm going to pick a song and you have to do it."

Oh my god! Random-oke!!!

The crowd waited, tense, wondering what it would be. "Please let him know it, please let him know it, please let him know it..." I chanted in my head.

Oh. He knew it. I knew it. Everyone knew it.

I couldn't help myself. I jumped onto the stage, along with a member of Sister's entourage who helped himself to the inflatable guitar, and started moving my ass back and forth, as did D and Sister's friend, to the introduction of...

"Faith" by George Michael!

This was mostly a tribute to LBF, but man was it fun. I'd never have picked it for myself, but having it picked for me... delicious!

I think that there should be a karaoke that is entirely roulette.

Later that night, two insane guys got up there and tried to do "How Do U Want It" by 2Pac. I knew it was going to be a disaster. Sid stopped them a minute into it and said "You guys need to stop. We're doing roulette" and made them do The Beastie Boys instead.

It was awshummmmm.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Darn it! Another idea stolen from my head. Karaoke roulette was going to play a part in the climactic scene of my karaoke/American Idol movie.

Next, someone is going to tell me that they're making a movie called "Just Friends."

*sigh*

I should just quit film school.

Beth said...

So jealous! What an awesome evening of karaoke!!!! I love randomoke. Lionel has the best randomoke because his system has all these songs in Tagalog.