Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Serious

I went on a nearly blind friend date with N last night.

She really wanted to see The Constant Gardener. I had no desire to see it, but since I think that City of God is one of the best movies I've ever seen, I figured I'd give it a shot. Plus, the reviews were in and the reviews were good.

While we were in line I said "You know, yet another reason why Loew's 34th Street is such a great theater, in addition to their having real food and being the cheapest theater in the city and being around the corner from my apartment, is the fact that the previews start 10 minutes prior to the movie start time on moviefone, so getting to a movie early is actually rewarded!" I didn't mention the long list of reasons why Loew's 34th Street sucks, which includes the reliably unruly crowds and the fact the bathroom is on a separate floor from the theater and is, without fail, grotesque.

N said "My friends all think I am a nerd because I like the previews. The previews are my favorite part!"

"I know," I said, realizing that N and I might actually become friends.

OK.

So.

The Constant Gardener. Intense. Artful. Ralph Fiennes in a t-shirt - the second best thing ever. The romance was believable and adorable. The conspiracy got boring after a while.

I'd recommend it because its beautiful to look at, but its more of a rental. And be prepared to suffer from motion sickness - the camera work is brilliant - I'd compare it to more of a series of gorgeous still art photography, so it jumps around a lot. But man is it gorgeous. It's organic and grainy and lush and wonderful.

Ralph Fiennes. He is always so. Serious. The man never smiles. I want Ralph Fiennes to be in, like, 45 Year Old Virgin next year. I want to see him laugh!

So, back to the point of this entry.

The point is: the previews, in this care, were the best part because they showed a preview for Brokeback Mountain and I'm not kidding when I say that I gasped a few times while watching it.

Can you think of anything better than Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger being involved in a secret gay love affair as cowboys?!?!?!

Gasp. I practically burst into tears just watching the preview.

I cannot wait for this movie. I seriously can't wait. I can't. I love Jake Gyllenhaal much more than I should given that he is like 14.

I also love tragic men. Ralph Fiennes was very tragic in The Constant Gardener and I enjoyed it. I think male tears work so well on screen because women would probably like to see more of male tears in real life.

Well, maybe not. I guess nobody wants to see more tears. Tears suck.

But. Jake Gyllenhaal crying? It's like I'm in middle school all over again watching Dead Poets Society and all of my friends and I fall in love with Ethan Hawke because he flips out at the end because Robert Sean Leonard has killed himself.

I can't wait!!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jake's 24. It's ok

Anonymous said...

I totally want to see "Brokback Mountain." I CANNOT wait. Jack/Heath love....mmmm....

Come visit me and we'll go!

Anonymous said...

pizza iz good!

Anonymous said...

Robert Sean Leonard kills himself at the end of Dead Poets Society?!

I guess I should take Dead Poets Society off my Netflix queue.

Beth said...

gay cowboys, YES! I'm all over it. I saw a screen shot from this movie and got really excited. I understand your reaction.

What happened to the potential friend? No connection? Bummer.

p.s. nice job turning on comment verification to cut down on the "comment spam". word!