Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Photography Class

Date: 9.28.05
Genre: Quick and Dirty Teaching Tool!




Description:

I was thinking that it's about time My Mundane Life In Song had another song on it! It's been a while since the Ethan Hawke song.

This being said, there's not much time these days for songs. When D asked me if I wanted to have dinner together tonight, I paused and he inferred "Oh, you want tonight to be alone night?"

Yes.

I love Alone Night. I love having no obligations outside of myself.

Unfortunately I spent a greater portion of tonight working on my photography class homework, which will most likely be a disaster. I was trying to do some long (fun with light) exposures and had the aperture setting completely wrong. I wasn't thinking. I just did this and, well, its sort of late. I think I am going to go back outside and try it again after I finish this entry.

Nevertheless... Alone Night was mainly devoted to photography homework, so I thought it appropriate to write a song for Beginning Photographers to remind them of things that could go wrong and to give them confidence.

Yes, folks, this song is based on not one but two true stories about my photography experience thus far. I am fairly demoralized and almost want to stop the class, but I will persevere, and will sing this song whenever I feel like being a quitter.

I spent about half an hour on this song. It's terrible. I'll re-do it some time when Alone Night turns into Alone Week or Alone Weekend. Right now, even when I am Alone I am Alone with Camera.

Obligations. I guess homework is an obligation.

So yeah. The song sucks as much as my first attempts at film photography.

But it's a song!

The good news is that Audioblog now has preferences for upload quality, so hopefully all future My Mundane Life In Song songs will be easier for you to listen to and won't be all distored!!! Woo hoo!!!

Lyrics:

Be sure to check that there's a roll of film
In your camera before you take pictures
Cuz if you don't you will be sad
And missing all the photos you had

Be sure to check that you've loaded your film properly
Make sure it advances properly
Cuz if you don't you'll be in class
Without homework and you'll feel like an ass

The worst thing you'll note
Is all your lost photos
Of smiling strangers and laundromats
Of the Empire State Building and blurry traffic
You'll never see them

You'll have no way of knowing
If you're doing anything right at all
You're used to digital
Everything could be overexposed
You'll never know

Maybe you're in over your head
Or maybe you're retarded
Or maybe you'll never get good at this
Maybe just be patient
Don't get attached
And practice

Practice loading your film
Get help wtih loading your film
Learn how to load your film

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had my SLR camera serviced once. They told me that they would put in a new roll of film when they were through. I believed them. I took several months of photographs only to discover that the camera had no film at all.