Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Palm Pilot

I am trying to sell my palm pilot on Craigslist.

Yes, folks, I have a palm pilot.

And no, I don't ever use it. I used it in Boston - in Boston I had a social life to manage. In New York City, where I know few people and where people tend not to make plans in advance, the palm pilot is useless. It would come in handy, however, to keep track of all of the goings-on in NYC - shows, exhibits, openings, etc., but I have no time to look at it. Ever.

In Boston I also used it for things like lists - lists of things I wanted to buy (ah! I long for the days when there was extra money to manage and when I could make lists of stereo components I eventually wanted to own, CD's I wanted to purchase, etc.), trips I wanted to take, phone calls that needed to be returned, boys I'd kissed...

Yes, folks, I kept a list, in my palm pilot, of all the boys I've ever kissed.

I am a sentimental idiot. They all mean something to me, for varied reasons. I always liked to be "Oh my god I totally forgot about so-and-so that was such a cute time!" or "Oh my god I totally forgot about so-and-so thank god because that was weird and awful." But I am a sentimental fool for the good and the bad.

Or I am a dork. Yeah. I am a dork.

I digress...

I also used it for the backlog of songs that needed to be recorded, and what had already been recorded and what remained to recorded. I had a few addresses in there. I never bothered to sync it with a computer. I never bought a memory card for it. I never put photos on it. I never tried to beam something through thin air from someone else's palm to my own.

Basically, my palm pilot was a giant post-it note.

And now I want to sell it.

On Saturday I decided to delete all of the information it contained prior to selling it. I turned it on and thought "Well, I should look one last time at the list of boys, because hopefully the list is now complete."

The list, and everything else, was gone. I guess it had decharged or whatever and everything is gone. Tragic. Now I'll never know how many boys I've kissed!

The palm pilot is now on Craigslist, and I got one response from a guy who wants me to ship it to him and another from a guy who offered me less than I want. I'll take less just to get rid of it. I responded to him and am now anxiously awaiting his response. This is like dating - will he write back? When? I can't wait! He hasn't written back and its been over an hour. Man. I want to be rid of the palm pilot. And what's with the guy who wants me to ship it? No way. That defeats the point of Craigslist. If I was going to ship it I'd have put it on EBay. Craigslist should involve no effort by me, especially my waiting in line at a post office.

I am feeling a little guilty because the palm pilot was a gift. My parents gave it to me for Christmas. But I never use it! Plus, do they have to know? They'll never know. Father would be proud. Right. I have to keep telling myself that.

So wish my luck. I've had good luck with Craigslist. Hopefully I'll be rid of the palm pilot by week's end, and I'll have money to put towards the list of things that I will now never be able to buy!

No comments: