Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Been Caught Cheatin'

When I looked up briefly while eating a slice of white pizza at lunch today, I saw... gasp... my NYC hairdresser!

I quickly looked down, worried about being seen.

She meandered around the pizza place for a few minutes, chatted with someone, and then noticed me.

"Shit," I thought.

She walked over and screeched "You put streaks in your hair?"

"Well, yeah, um, you know, I went to Argentina and it was only $10 so I thought 'Why not?'"

"Yeah, why not," she said.

"Yeah. Well. You look cute," I said, referring to her adorable dress.

"Thanks. How are things with your boyfriend?"

"Oh, good, thanks, better, yeah, our parents met this weekend."

"And things are still good?"

"Amazingly."

She touched my hair. "You got a hair cut too," she said, unamused.

"Yeah, well, again, it was only $10 and... how's your apartment?"

"Good, good, I'm getting it together. Your hair is shorter," she smiled a bit.

"Yeah, the front was getting kind of out of control and I asked for a straight haircut and now I can't wear it curly which is weird, you know? Can't have it both ways, right?"

"Yeah."

"Yeah."

"OK, well, good to see you!" and she walked away.

Caught red-handed with the new haircut. I hope she didn't feel betrayed.

The irony is that I won't go to her again anyway. I had the Buenos Aires excuse this time, but what will I say next time? As much as I love her haircuts and conversation, things have gotten too expensive. I have to save money for things like trips and martinis. Can't be dropping $100 every time I get my hair cut. No way.

She never said it looked good, and I am having one of the best hair days ever.

Oh well.

2 comments:

YankeeAmanda said...

Getting busted by a former hairdresser is so strangely awkward. I mean, it's not like you're married to them, but when you go to someone else, it's a lot like getting caught cheating. And I have no solution to offer for this conundrum. Sorry!

Beth said...

HOW THE HELL IS YOUR BLOG BEING SPAMMED?!?!!!

I have never had a real relationship with a hairdresser. I don't even like to TALK to the hairdresser. Not that I'm a snob, I just like to sit there and chill. I can't believe that someone who is NOT YOU could be possessive of your hair. Bizarre.