Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Laundry - Epilogue

I have been dropping off my laundry to be washed by someone else since I moved.

I know - you were worried! What if someone stole my laundry? What if it was returned smaller to me due to shrinkage? What if what if what if?

These were all legitimate concerns, and concerns that I shared with you.

There had been no issues until I picked up the sheets/towels that I had washed post-parents' visit.

I got home, opened my neatly folded and lovely-smelling towels, and found, to my surprise, men's clothes!!!

All of my items were returned, with the addition of a large pair of pants and large shirt!!!!

I am plagued with guilt. I know this is not my fault, but I feel awful. I figured I'd be able to bring them back to the laundromat and the woman who works there would instantly know to whom they belonged. Everyone who drops their clothes off there, like me, must be a regular, and after a certain amount of washes, the people who work there must learn what clothes belong to whom.

But no. The woman, who speaks to me in a combination of English and Spanish but who I am learning to understand, had no idea who the clothes belong to.

She too felt terrible. "This never happens!" she said. I feel awful. I left them with her, but now there is a man out there who is missing his khaki pants and his large red button-down shirt with weird blue paisley things on it!

And now I am newly paranoid that my clothes will accidentally be given to someone else! Hopefully the person who gets them will be a large man who knows nobody who will fit into my small clothes and will return them because he is plagued with guilt.

Sigh. I shouldn't be thinking about this at all, but I feel so bad.

4 comments:

Beth said...

You shouldn't be so guilt ridden, but I would be suspicious of the laundromat in the future. I suppose it would be too much effort to inventory the laundry before and after you send it?

The few times that I have paid for laundry service I was a bit concerned that the guy who was washing my clothes might be a panty-sniffer. I'm pretty sure he is gay, so hopefully he wouldn't be interested in MY panties... but that's the kind of parnoid fantasy that keeps me doing my own laundry.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous warned you! What they need is laundary insurance. That might make the system work.

Dr. Maureen said...

You sure they're not your dad's clothes?

Banalities said...

It's too bad they were washed. Otherwise you could hire a bloodhound. Ooh -- that's it:

Hire the Bloodhound Gang. They're New York-based, and they're probably desperate for the work. And you would approve of their tactics, because however they'd solve the case, they'd use science to do it.

Or, worse somes to worst, just pretend they're Christian Bale's clothes and do with them what you must.