Thursday, March 10, 2005

Comedy

I went to see Bench Buddy do a standup comedy open mic last night.

I was expecting for people to be not-very-funny, but, like the open mic I did, everyone was really good.

Well, not everyone, but I'd say 75% of the people were really funny.

It was a pleasant surprise.

I actually enjoyed myself. I thought it was going to be like attending a kid's 5th grade band concert, writhing in agony while convinced that your kid is absolutely brilliant.

I suppose its not surprising that there are actually good standup comics lurking about in obscurity in NYC.

Bench Buddy was funny. It was interesting to see him on stage. The beauty of his everyday humor is that it's subtle, observational, and understated. He's mellow and low key. His comedian persona, however, was enthusiastic and happy and spastic and wow!!!

A good portion of the comedians had routines that revolved around their weight, having lost insane amounts of weight, needing to lose weight, etc.

It just seemed like an unusually high percentage of people who had lost weight. I'm talking 100's and 100's of pounds. The comedians who weren't going to talk about weight ended up talking about it anyway, because everyone else was and that's funny.

Then I wondered - is there a correlation between weight and humor?

Did I overcompensate for my childhood scrawniness and comprehensive lack of athletic ability by studying too much?

Is there a similar trait that causes someone to become the class clown?

Hmmmm.

Regardless, fun was had. He's going to do it again in a couple of weeks.

Additionally, D, inspired by Bench Buddy's performance, has decided to become a standup comedian. He has taken to carrying around a little black spiral-bound notebook labeled "JOKES" with yellow lab tape. Every five seconds he pulls it out and scribbles something frantically, and then starts laughing.

I had to say "You know, when you get up there, it's probably not awesome to like laugh hysterically at your own jokes."

He's trying to figure out his persona, his vibe.

I am excited for him. I love being around people who are inspired. He's punchy and lively and thrilled with life right now. He's obsessed and driven. I am jealous. I can't wait for the Bench Buddy / D double bill in two weeks.

And, I love New York and that the people here are wicked funny.

No comments: