Thursday, March 24, 2005

Anemia

My brain is torturing me right now because it has decided to play, on repeat, Belinda Carlisle's "Heaven Is A Place on Earth."

No, I have no theory regarding this song's being triggered by my traitorous neurons.

Bench Buddy said "Wouldn't you rather have 'Heaven isn't too far aw... ay.. ay ...ayyy....' in your head?"

Yes, Bench Buddy, I would, but that is not how it works!!!

Instead I have "Oooh baby do you know what that's worth? Ooooh heaven is a place on earth!" on replay.

I feel weird today. I am attributing the appearance of this song to yet another symptom of whatever weird neural phenomenon I am suffering from. Since Sunday night, my hands and face have been tingly at night. They are not numb. They are Pins and Needles. Today is the first day during which my hands and face have been tingling during the day. Concurrent with the tingling is the inability to type accurately and inability to access words. When my face is feeling numb my brain goes numb as well, and I can't think of basic words to express myself. Nor can I really have a coherent thought, because every other thought is something like "Man, I could totally pass out RIGHT NOW while my boss is talking to me - that would be dramatic!" or "It's weird how my hands go from being in severe pain to having no sensation at all - if my face wasn't numb I'd be psyched about having carpal tunnel so as not to have to work for the next couple of weeks!" or "Having pins and needles in your cheeks is just plain bizarre."

I am wondering if there is more or less hypochondriasis in the world now that self-diagnosis is rendered so easy by the internet.

A majority of my day today was spent searching for things like "hands tngingl" and "fadil numbnss" and "tremos extremeits" and "lightehadedness."

Neuropathy? Low blood pressure? MS? Hormonal issues?

My vote, for now, is near-onset of the flu. Or maybe something anemia-like. Or psychosomatic pre-meeting-the-parents syndrome.

I love the word anemia.

This sort of thing is all very new to me. Normally I am nonresponsive to health-related issues, but having a numb face, I think, is cause for internet investigation.

Bizarrely enough, I had a minor argument with D last night about health issues before he knew about my numb face and hands. I've been trying not to be too much of a nag about his health, but I am definitely allowed to be a bit of a nag. He finally saw a doctor yesterday - my diagnosis was right, although the doctor he saw has advised that he get a second opinion and apparently mine does not count - which precipitated a conversation, finally, regarding his health. I said something like "People have been telling me that men just don't go to see doctors." He said "Look, I just think its a double standard." "Why?" "Because, like with you, you NEVER go to a doctor. You're awful about it." I said "That's because there's nothing wrong with me. You know if I had another kidney stone or I was fainting at work I'd get myself to a hospital in a second."

Or, M would have to call me on the phone and force me to go to the doctor's by saying "EAR INFECTIONS ARE NOT CURED BY SLEEP!"

Right.

"When the night falls down, I wait for you and you come around..."

I must go now, as I have to engage in one of my favorite activies - PACKING!!!

No comments: