Monday, February 28, 2005

The Curtains

My parents visited this weekend and now, more than ever, I am convinced that I need to start smoking.

Lovely to see them, and now that they are gone, I can tend to my ulcer.

I wish parents would just say "We just want to be in your presence and don't actually want to do anything so as not to feel empty-nested" instead of saying "We don't care what we do" and then cowering in the corners of a contemporary art museum.

I wish we weren't so different.

I wish I didn't miss them as much as I do.

I wish their visit didn't coincide with other stressful things.

Mom brought chocolate chip cookies and apple pies and other rations that will be useful during the upcoming snowstorm, which will be pounding us any second. We are hopeful for a snow day.

Dad took photos, but only a mere 75! He only talked about taxes for about a minute. He is learning.

It was lovely to see Sister, but I wish I didn't have to see her while playing the roles of Daughters. I am hoping that she and her boyfriend will visit soon on their own, so that we can be ourselves.

My parents, of course, adored D, who rallied and charmed them despite having been hospitalized. He adored them, too. It went far better than I could have imagined, ulcer aside. Their meeting makes me feel serious. It's all real now. D becomes less and less fictional with each friend and family member he meets.

I keep looking out the window for snowflakes. This could be the sort of storm that allows us to go home early! I need to decompress. Please, please, please let there be snow and lots of it followed by freezing rain and other treacherous natural phenomenon that prohibit my commuting. PLEASE!

Still no snow. Actually, it would be best if it didn't start snowing until around 5:00, because I do not have a scarf or mittens because when I left the loft this morning I was still feeling insane from the weekend and could not do things like dress myself appropriately.

I am going to work now.

Hope you are all having a joyous Monday.

p.s. Since I was feeling emo and ulcer-y and fatalistic on Friday night while D was in the hospital I, gasp, wrote a song!!! This means that there actually migh be A SONG on My Mundane Life In Song within a week! Don't get too excited. I am still in love with the chorus and bridge-to-chorus after two days, but I loathe the verse. We'll see what happens.

2 comments:

Dr. Maureen said...

Why is this entitled "The Curtains"?

M

Leah Lar said...

My father's sense of humor relies mainly on puns, which aren't very funny. Every now and then he'll say something hilarious - often unintentionally - that is also extremely endearing. During our car-tour-of-New-York-City, while Sister / Sister's Boyfriend / myself and D were forced to be human pretzels in the backseat for hours upon hours, my father was driving towards Central Park and said "I think I see the curtains." He meant TheGates, but it was so cute how he referred to them as TheCurtains, and how that's really what they are and how I hadn't thought of that myself. It gave us all the laugh we really needed.