Thursday, February 22, 2007

Grouch

I am very grumpy today. The hormones are to be blamed for this one.

The hormones, along with the man who practices opera at 6:00 am every day. I understand that opera needs to be practiced, but must it wake me every day? He disappeared for a while and recently resurfaced. He must have been on tour or something. I hope he gets another job soon because, really, I can't wake up to this every morning.

There's also the fact that the exterminator appeared this morning at 7:00 am, wanting to spray the apartment. It is lovely that he wants to exterminate our apartment, but might we be given any sort of notice? Again, exterminations need to occur at times when people are actually around to let the exterminator into the apartment, but must they do it unannounced? My last building had the decency to post a flyer when the exterminator was coming.

There's also the fact that we can't regulate the temperature of the apartment. When its really cold out, it is a mere 57 degrees inside the apartment. When the weather is weird (like it is now), it gets wicked hot. Last night it got up to 78.2 degrees. This, I think, is fan weather, but the fans are no longer in the windows. I opened the window for a few hours and this helped, but by this morning it was an inferno again.

Forces are conspiring against me, preventing me from sleeping when I would very much like to sleep. I wanted to sleep alot last night in preparation for my big date with D tonight. We are going out for dinner to celebrate my birthday and then to see Chicago. I am very excited, but I'd be more excited if I slept more.

In an effort to make myself feel better, I have scheduled my complimentary bang trim for tomorrow afternoon. Previously I have felt that a complimentary bang trim was a bit too luxurious for me - like bang trims are scheduled only by Ladies Who Lunch etc. But oh how quickly this particular set of bangs has grown, and I am going to a wedding this weekend and would also like to be able to see cells with the microscope. I think it is ok for me to have a bang trim given how much I spent on the haircut which, incidentally, was worth every penny.

Also contributing to my vile mood are people who talk VERY LOUDLY IN THE LUNCHROOM ABOUT THINGS LIKE STRING BIKINIS AND THEIR WEDDINGS, as though everyone in the entire company wants to hear about these things. All I want to do is read my magazine in peace. I would like to relax. I would like not to hear about how much the wedding gown weighs and the extravagant honeymoon options and oh how very exhausting it is to have rich parents and in-laws and fiance and the bridesmaids you wouldn't believe which ones are the complainers etc. I want to strangle everyone. Maybe I want to declare at the top of my lungs "Nobody cares about your stupid wedding! There are more important things going on in the world. There is a war. There is an even more giant squid. Britney has checked back into rehab. And I imagine there are other things going on but I wouldn't know because your talking is preventing me from reading the paper!!!!"

See? Grumpy.

But there are more important things going on in the world, and lately my philosophy has been that I am insignificant and nothing involving my little life is really worth getting worked up over. Everything will work itself out one way or another. My life is a product of the choices I've made and the choices I will make, and its up to me to react or not react to the things around me that are out of my control. I'm choosing to not react, except, of course, when the hormones are being uncooperative. Which they are right now.

I guess one thing that makes me happy is that my super happy little pink and yellow umbrella impulse buy fits hidden inside my equally little purse.

I also ordered headphones yesterday. I am looking forward to their arrival and putting them over my ears to cancel out the noise from the lunchroom.

No comments: