Friday, September 29, 2006

Saving Your Toys

I dined with TE last night and the conversation turned to fertility. I refuse to believe that I am old enough to be having conversations (and more bizarrely, to be concerned) about fertility. We discussed progesterone, and monitoring basal body temperature, and PCOS (what if I have it?), and age, and dear god. I wanted to run home and scream “We should start now! What if what if what if what if what if?” which would have been hilarious given that we still haven’t scheduled the follow up conversation entitled “Whether Or Not We Are Enthused About The Idea of Procreating.”

TE is D’s friend, but because D cannot plan I end up seeing much more of TE than he does. TE confessed that D talked to her about our relationship issues in the beginning. She said “At the beginning he was all ‘she has these issues with me…’ and every time I’d be like ‘dude, she’s right!’” I wanted to hug her when she said “This one time he couldn’t understand why you were upset that he never responded to your emails and I was like ‘Dude, that’s just rude.’ And you can’t sleep in a bed with another girl, you just can’t.”

I couldn’t help but wonder if TE saved things without realizing she had.

When I got home D was in amazing form, having bought flowers for the apartment. He was very excited to see us and said “I want to know about your day” when TE left. I can’t get over the profound effect our conversation from earlier in the week has had. I swear we’ve had the same conversation 18 million times but for some reason it stuck this time, and splendidly!

He said “I think we need to own Camelot on DVD.”

Oh my!

And he’s close (I think) to consenting to taking a swing dance class with me.

Things are looking up, at least on the NYC front. Of course there are toys to deal with, and the Ebay-ing and Craigslist-ing, and condos, and Parents, and guilt, and angst, and photography school (I had my first photography school dream/nightmare last night!), and promotions, and presentations, and saving money, and a weekend that’s already crammed, but whatever. It’s fall and I think I will fall-ize clothes this weekend and perhaps even wear a jacket. I will look at photography and see friends and movies and technology and maybe wall-climbing and eat well and sleep an extra hour or two and hopefully catch up on some projects. Yes, weekends in NYC are good even if you really should be somewhere else saving your toys from certain death.

No comments: