Friday, September 08, 2006

The Elusive Pringle

I am not the type of person who tries new foods. I'd rather spend money on something that I am certain will taste good, rather than experiment with every newly flavored pre-exisiting snack. D, on the other hand, buys every new candy and cereal and cookie and chip.

Recently we have been cursed with an explosion of new snack foods that are ridiculously good.

It all started with the reverse fudge stripe cookie from Keebler. I can't even remember where I bought them - chocolate cookies with WHITE CHOCOLATE STRIPES. I heart white chocolate above all else. While I am not supposed to eat cookies, I couldn't resist because reverse fudge stripes! Please! Needless to say I inhaled the entire package within a week's time (which is bad given that I limited myself to one half of a cookie per day, max). And then looked for them again but they could not be found!

Then it was the white kit kat. Oh MY. WHITE. KIT. KAT. Never to be found again.

It was then the orange kit kat, delivered by D from CA. Dear god. I savored every bite. I allowed myself to eat only one half of one column a day to preserve the wonder that was the orange kit kat, as I knew immediately that there would be no orange kit kat for me ever again.

And then, oh you can't even imagine, were the guacamole Pringles that D picked up while we were in MA on The Worst Day Ever. And we ate them when we got back to NYC... and ate them... and polished off the can in two sittings. And of course they do not exist in NYC.

I have picked up some of D's habits as they relationship has evolved. I've actually been thinking about this phenomenon a lot lately (I'll get to that in another entry). D has obsessive compulsive tendencies. While he will do certain things in an incomplete mannner (the way he paints, for example), he will not rest until he's located a product. He will search for years. He will remember everything he's ever looked for and will look for it anywhere he is. I've picked this trait up, apparently, as it relates to locating foods that no longer exist.

I have walked into every bodega I've seen. I have gone to every supermarket. I have checked every market. I am unstoppable.

I've found none of them. NONE!

E was over one night, and we were talking about food or something and I mentioned the elusive orange kit kat and E said "You know that they sell those around the corner from your apartment? I almost bought one the other night on the way to your party..."

Check!

Father picked up reverse fudge stripes for me at a real grocery store in MA and sent them to NYC with Mother two weekends ago.

Score!

D is adorable and apparently located white kit kats at a secret location and put one in my mailbox at work today.

Yes!

This only leaves guacamole Pringles, which I am certain are not available in NYC. I plan to buy ten cans while in MA next week.

And then, and only then, will I be able to stop my obsessive quest for unavailable foods.

Woop!

1 comment:

Dr. Maureen said...

I've looked for the guacamole Pringles for you, but I can't find them either. It was either a very small test market or the testing phase is over.

I had the same problem with dark chocolate M&Ms, by the way. We found one bag, once. A small bag. And oh, they were so good.