Monday, January 23, 2006

The Weekend is Over and I Have Nothing to Show For It

The weekend was unproductive.

It began on the emo tip, with the news that Father lost his job. Again. I know he can handle it, but I still feel terribly. I can't imagine being his age and having to change his life against his will. When I lost my job, it felt like being dumped, complete with hopelessness and an aching sense of injustice. Awful, awful, awful.

I decided to attempt to play Scrabble anyway, but I was just in a bad mood. The place we went to was awesome, though, and had I been in a better mood, I think I'd have had great fun. The Boys played ping pong while I thought about my family and ideas for sitcoms. I spent a few minutes in the jazz lounge listening to one of the bands practice. I'd have been in a much better mood had I been able to just there surrounded by pillows while being a recluse. We played Scrabble (I had to be on D's team because there were five of us - D is apparently really good at both Scrabble and ping pong, but this is not surprising given that he is really good at everything) and I didn't win, despite D's being able to spell "apogee." I was very close to having "vacuous," which would have been awesome given its emo connotation, but someone used the "s" on the board for something else. I think this was maybe the fifth time I've ever played Scrabble, and I was therefore way out of my league.

I went home and brooded, hard. I talked to Sister briefly but spent most of the night wishing I had a good friend around or someone who I actually like to stop by, again, with ice cream and a movie. I watched a terrible movie, felt lonely, downloaded some music, and went to bed early.

I slept for ten hours. Woop! Spent Saturday morning downloading more music and talking on the phone to J, a good friend in NYC who used to date another friend of mine. They have officially broken up and J, who is also dangerously close to 30, isn't in the best state of mind. After we talked for a while she proposed going shopping. I accepted, not because I wanted to shop but because I didn't want to be alone. I accepted in spite of having made tentative plans with Former-Favorite-Ex-Boyfriend, who called about three seconds after I told J I'd shop with her. Oops.

Those of you who know me know that I mostly hate to shop, and that when I do shop, I get insane because nothing fits me. For whatever reason, Saturday afternoon was a stellar afternoon of shopping! It was probably because I went in there thinking I'd buy nothing and just support J. Five amazing shirts and an obscene amount of money spent later, I was feeling wicked cute.

I don't know what it is about the Macy's mirrors but MAN are they flattering! Is it the angle? The length? The fact that they are above the ground? Also - each of the dressing rooms are 1/2 the size of my apartment. Tons of hooks, benches on which to organize, and each room is equipped with three mirrors that you can position accordingly. Sweet!

D and I met up and headed up to Lincoln Center for dinner and the ballet. There's been much talk of "The Future" as of late and therefore much insinuation of not-living-in-NYC forever (thank god) which makes me feel less guilty about (a) doing things in New York now now now and (b) spending money on doing things in New York. The ballet, of course, was awesome. I kept fantasizing about doing ballet again, and then remembering that my almost-30-year-old body won't be able to fold over onto itself anymore. Hmph. I may try, though.

I did nothing on Sunday aside from accompany D on his shopping excursion for sneakers and pants. He didn't get sneakers or pants, nor did I buy a coat despite trying on many, one of which was on a mannequin. D stripped her so that I could try it on, and when trying to stealthly re-coat her pulled her arm off.

Back at my apartment we were both tired, most likely recovering from a slight conflict that morning. We spent time together and talked about how tired we were and how we had so much to do but I didn't want him to sleep or to leave. We watched some animation shorts we've had for months upon months, and then he left.

I talked to LBF. I ate ravioli. I played around with my camera a bit more and still have no idea how to focus. I talked to E about his screenplay and played The Doors for him over the phone. I talked to D, who was moody and therefore super cute, read an article about Craig the Founder of Craigslist that D had found in the trash, and then went to bed.

We do not have snow in New York, unfortuntely. The day is dreary and gross and I can't motivate.

Oh well.

Hopefully I'll have a productive weekend next weekend.

No comments: