Monday, January 09, 2006

The Weekend In Review

New Roc City = ghetto Las Vegas. My friend LL hatched an elaborate plan that involved going to see a movie in New Roc City, after which would be a sleepover at her place in The Bronx. The original plan had me going up to the Bronx after work, only to be driven half an hour to New Roc City. (Well, the original plan, which was designed by yours truly, was “Girl’s Not Out” involving dinner at a fancy Manhattan restaurant, fancy martinis, and gay cowboys). Luckily the Metro North goes straight to New Roc City, so I was able to eliminate an hour and a half of extra transit. I wasn’t prepared for New Roc City. I thought it would be a spectacle, but I hadn’t thought that it would be a spectacle surrounded by sketchiness. The minute I stepped foot off the train I knew I was in for a treat. I asked a woman for directions. As she began to speak, another woman interjected and said “NO! DON’T GO THAT WAY!” and gave me better directions. Yeah. It wasn’t, well, a pleasant place to be walking around by oneself at night.

Brokeback Mountain = A-MAZ-ING. It was so sad that I was not even able to cry. I can't get enough of Jake's dimples or Heath's brooding. And Jen from Dawson's Creek was awesome. The whole thing was awesome, and it really had nothing to do with dimples or brooding.

I had a Seinfeld-ian moment when one of the girls I was with engaged in one of my movie theater pet peeves, and I thought “I may have to de-friend her after this.” Spending a lot of time with someone, seeing how he or she lives his of her life, can give you insight that you don’t necessarily want about a person.

After the movies we decided to go to this Mexican restaurant in New Roc City, but left immediately after being seated when we learned that not only was it far too expensive given what it was, but they charged $3.95 to share meals!

We ended up at Applebee’s and shared spinach-artichoke dip while drinking weak martinis. There was karaoke, but we did not partake.

We did not do glow-in-the-dark mini golf because I hated New Roc City and wanted out of there as soon as possible.

I was a zombie by the time we got to The Bronx, but The Girls wanted to stay up. While I tried to sleep on the couch, they watched a movie. Me = irritable.

Slept miraculously well despite being on the couch. My sleep was interrupted only by a nightmare involving D having broken into my apartment while I was gone and having left a pile of dishes in the sink. In the dream I began doing the dishes, only to find that he had cooked meat! I yelled “Not only did he break into my apartment without telling me, not only did he cook in my apartment, not only did he then leave me 100 dishes to wash, but he cooked meat! THAT BASTARD!” Weird.

Breakfast at a local diner, followed by being accosted by some kid on the street trying to sell us hot Disney anthology books or an umbrella. Bizarre.

Journey that lasted for eternity from The Bronx to PS1 via the 6 and then the E, where I was meeting D to see the last weekend of the Stephen Shore exhibit. I almost missed it! I liked the exhibit but was peeved by there being windows in the gallery. You can’t have windows casting sunlight onto glass covering small photos! I was surprised by a Jon Kessler exhibit, which was a four room kinetic sculpture that was one of the coolest things I have ever seen.

Went back to my apartment, which I hadn’t seen in quite some time, where I took a shower and where D successfully installed a new battery into my IPod. Woop!

En route to the screening of my friend E’s student film at Columbia, D said “Hey – do you think that soup place over there is the Soup Nazi?” I said “I don’t know…” and then looked up, only to see that we were standing right on the corner of Restaurant from Seinfeld! “Well, it may not be, but there’s Restaurant!”

We were giddy, but decided not to eat at Restaurant in favor of another cute little restaurant where I ate Pumpkin Gorgonzola risotto and where D did not have the Tang Martini because when our waiter asked the bartender if there was any Tang remaining with which to make the Tangtini, the bartender answered “Yes, but its disgusting.”

E’s movie = awesome. I was so proud!

Fabulous food poisoning or a drug interaction.

Watched “Anchorman” and laughed. Lots.

Watched episodes of Strangers with Candy.

Went to the Ancient Fossils, New Discoveries exhibit at the Museum of Natural History with E. I’ve decided that a museum is the best place to go to convince yourself that you never want children. Or, on the contrary, if you get lucky, yearn for children. The precocious ones are entertaining, but the screamers… oh man, the screamers. There was one kid who was a combination of both, and his adult-ways won and endeared me to him for the hour that we trailed him. He was about six years old and kept frustratingly declaring “We have been in this exhibit for over an hour! I cannot take it anymore!” Tee hee.

Met up with D for a gross burrito and then saw Munich, which was also A-MAZ-ING. I can’t even begin to describe how wonderful it was so I won’t even try. Just go see it, and be prepared to be ruined afterwards.

Sat on the couch for a bit and then read and then, finally, slept like a baby.

And today I ate a salad for lunch! Watch out, world, I am on track with the New Year's resolutions. I don't know if it counts, though, when you have more croutons than lettuce and a ton of cheese. Oh well.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

leah, seriously; you are the TINIEST PERSON IN THE WORLD! I think your new year's resolution should be to eat more. we love you and don't want to see you disintegrate.

Beth said...

You get food poisoning more than anyone I know. What is the unforgivable movie theater faux pas?

Anonymous said...

i'm with anonymous 1, for the love of god, eat something, woman!!! you weigh as much as my left leg.