Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Some Thoughts on the Golden Globes

D and I watched The Golden Globes, zombie-style, last night. Well, I watched The Golden Globes while D did other things and occasionally sat down to participate. He doesn't really get NBC at his house, so we stared mezmerized at the pointalism version of the awards show that resulted in severe headaches for the both of us. I didn't have particular interest in watching The Globes, but its been ages since I've seen an awards show and it was a good year for movies, so why not?

Some things from The Golden Globes (other than the overwhelming feeling that it was extremely boring):

1. Gwyneth - adorable and pregnant - calling Anthony Hopkins "Antony." Who knew?

2. Celebrity couples I didn't know about - Felicity Huffman and William H. Macy? The producer of Walk the Line is married to Jane Seymor? Rachel Weisz and Darren Aronofsky? What?

3. George Clooney remains delicious. How does he do it? We freaked out when he won.

4. Every time I heard the theme music from Brokeback Mountain I got goosebumps. I apparently liked this movie even more than I thought I did.

5. Larry David! At The Golden Globes! What? How dare they nominate Curb Your Enthusiasm and then not vote for it? His speech would have been awesome!!!

6. It has just occurred to me that Steve Carrell reminds me of someone I worked with at Job # 1 (with LBF!) and now things will never be the same. His speech was hilarious, though.

7. OK. As much as I loathe despise can't stand Natalie Portman, she looked very cute and pixie-like with her short hair.

8. I can't believe that drip from Bend it Like Bekham won a Golden Globe for something Elvis-related. (Sidenote: it was sad not to have anything to root for TV-wise.)

9. Philip Seymour-Hoffman for Capote! Yeah! Of course I was rooting for Heath Ledger (why wasn't Jake there?!), but Capote was darn good. His speech was good, and led to my having Philip Seymour-Hoffman dreams. Not those sorts of dreams. Like a dream in which he was washing dishes.

10. I am thrilled that Walk the Line cleaned up. Reese Witherspoon is too cute, and even cuter with Ryan Phillippe, if that's possible. Cutest couple ever. And Joaquin Phoenix is hot. He's come a long way since SpaceCamp.

11. The dude who is going to play the new Superman is perfect. Every now and then I forget how much I loved Lois and Clark. Ah, Teri, I'm so glad the rest of the world now knows how wonderful you are! I have such a girl crush on Teri Hatcher.

12. I feel like Eric Bana is my best friend after seeing Munich.

13. Brokeback Mountain won the big ones, and for that I am glad.

14. Felicity Huffman was not looking like a man.

15. I am sad that The Squid and the Whale didn't win anything, but apparently its won other things so its not completely tragic.

16. Mariah Carey is gross.

17. What was Fergie doing there? Also gross.

18. Oh my god I heart Emma Thompson.

19. And I just loathe that guy from Bend it Like Bekham, but I think I already mentioned that. His speech was so. boring. I still want to see Matchpoint, though, because of Scarlet, who looked very, ahem, buxom last night.

20. The co-writer of the Brokeback Mountain screenplay was adorable when thanking his typewriter.

Did anyone else watch it?

3 comments:

Beth said...

I was actually annoyed that the Golden Globes were on last night because then I was forced to watch either "CSI Miami" or "Dr. Phil". I chose Dr. Phil. He was talking to some guy who was arrested for domestic violence, has alcohol and drug problems and they were discussing whether or not this guy has any right to visit his daughter. I was like, "Um, no", so not very interesting.

I can't believe that you JUST figured out the Steve Carrell connection to "the doctor" whom I pseudo-dated for a while. Like, how did you not make that connection when the movie "40 year old virgin" came out?

Leah Lar said...

It's funny... I had made the connection conceptually, as in "Wow, LBF totally pseudo-dated a 40-year old virgin!" and I thought the resemblance was minor, but dear god, in person, when he's just being himself, Steve Carrell's resemblance to "the doctor" is UN-FREAKING-CANNY.

Anonymous said...

Felicity and William probably met on the excellent, but underacheiving sitcom "SportsNight", which aired from 1998-2000.

-JV