Monday, August 08, 2005

Shout Out Louds at the Mercury Lounge - 8.7.05

I was at the Mercury Lounge again last night, this time seeing the Shout Out Louds who are my favorite band du jour.

Before the Shout Out Louds - 8.7.05

I can't get enough of them. I really can't. I can't stop listening to the album. When I first got it, I listened to it, on average, four times a day for about a month straight. I was really excited about the show, and kept thinking "There's no way its going to live up to my expectations. It's just impossible. There's no way." I haven't been this excited about something in a long time. One two many bad shows, I guess, or one too many experiences of New Yorkers Not Dancing.

At any rate, The Redwalls opened and I think I like them. I'd downloaded a few of their songs about a month ago after hearing bits and pieces of their new album at a listening station at the, ahem, Virgin Megastore. They were quite adorable.

Redwalls - Mercury Lounge 8.7.05

They look no older than 12 and appear British although they are not. I'd describe them as a cross between The Black Crowes, the Beatles, with maybe a moment or two of Buddy Holly? They rocked. Nothing you haven't heard before, but well executed by unbearably cute boys.

Redwalls - Mercury Lounge 8.7.05

The Shout Out Louds. Yes. Fucking amazing. First of all, the lead singer was wearing suspenders. Marvelous! Second of all, the bassist looks like Jim Hensen. Third of all, they rocked. There's nothing I like more than a performance that builds off of what you hear on a record. Oftentimes we say "They're good live - they sound just like the album." That's tough to pull off, and admirable, but not nearly as entertaining as a band that can sound better than their albums. The live sound rocked much more than the recorded sound, which created this awesome energy at the Mercury Lounge.

Shout Out Louds - Mercury Lounge 8.7.05

There was a dude behind me who described the lead singer's voice as being a cross between "Robert Smith and that guy from Fine Young Cannibals." True, and brilliant.

Shout Out Louds - Mercury Lounge 8.7.05

They were so very good.

Shout Out Louds - Mercury Lounge - 8.7.05

I danced like an idiot.

Shout Out Louds - Mercury Lounge 8.7.05

Did anyone else?

Nope.

Shout Out Louds - Mercury Lounge 8.7.05

Well, not true. There were a few enthusiastic people scattered throughout the audience, but mainly just a bunch of composed viewers standing completely still. It confuses me. How can you not dance?

I suppose I can understand not dancing. But how can you not move? At all?

Shout Out Louds - Mercury Lounge 8.7.05

I want to sell shirts outside of New York City music venues that say "Too Cool to Dance."

Shout Out Louds - Mercury Lounge 8.7.05

I was going nuts. This show could be Top 10, especially in the overall enjoyability category. It ranks quite high on the "If I had to go to the same show for the rest of time..." scale. I said to my friend "I'd like to go again tomorrow. And the next day. And really every night, if that was possible. This show is bliss."

Shout Out Louds - Mercury Lounge 8.7.05

It's interesting to see the way people experience shows. Instead of dancing people take photos.

Shout Out Louds - Mercury Lounge 8.7.05

I did both.

Shout Out Louds - Mercury Lounge 8.7.05

2 comments:

Lissa said...

I started being a devoted reader of your site. This may sound freakish, but I am printing them for my friend to read in Edmonton, Alberta Canada who is exiled herself there to finish Nursing school. You should take this stuff to a publisher Leah, my friend and I would buy this book! Let me know if you want me to email you my endless hours of cutting and pasting up to May of this year!

Lissa said...

I started being a devoted reader of your site. This may sound freakish, but I am printing them for my friend to read in Edmonton, Alberta Canada who is exiled herself there to finish Nursing school. You should take this stuff to a publisher Leah, my friend and I would buy this book! Let me know if you want me to email you my endless hours of cutting and pasting up to May of this year!